Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> on 2006/02/02 08:31:50 UTC

Chainsaw: release_20060202 updated

Latest 'release' bundle (alpha) of Chainsaw is now available.

Webstart version should auto-update, OSX and DOS/Unix version
available from:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html

Comments appreciated, a new build process has been put in place, so
there could be a couple of gremlins there, please report anything
that you find.

cheers,

Paul Smith

Re: Chainsaw: release_20060202 updated

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
No such luck.  I get the same thing.  BTW, see my other email which provides an
update saying that it worked fine from:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/webstart/chainsaw/upload/webstart-bundle-20060202/chainsawWebStart.jnlp

Jake

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

> Scott's suggestion for clearing the browser cache (in this case,
> Seamonkey)
> seems to have done the trick!  It launches just fine now :-)

Excellent, that's good to hear, I may have to add some docs about
this, as I've seen this sort of thing come up from time to time.

> Here's the first 7 lines...
>
> 2005-12-19 16:21:53,471 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl
> - Reading
> CodeTable -: CompanyCode
> 2005-12-19 16:21:54,783 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl
> - Reading
> CodeTable -: ReqCodeTr

Hmm, that's pretty vanilla, that should just work.  I'll try and see
if I can reproduce that myself with that log snippet.  Thanks.

> Well, the previous version of chainsaw never worked at all.  I
> always used the
> webstart version so this was my first time being able to define a
> VFSLogFilePatternReceiver without Chainsaw having classloader
> issues.  I'll do
> as Scott suggests and change my password to not have a "?" and try
> again.
> Again, I wouldn't worry about this too much until I've had a chance
> to narrow
> down the possible causes of the issue.

Give us a hoi if this does turn out to be the problem, and we'll
update the docs with info on this sort of 'gotcha'.

cheers,

Paul

Re: Chainsaw: release_20060202 updated

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>:

> The first issue definitely sounds like a cache issue.  Didn't think
> of IE's cache, what Scott says sounds reasonable. (You could always
> try launching it via, say, Firefox to see if you get a different
> effect?)

Scott's suggestion for clearing the browser cache (in this case, Seamonkey)
seems to have done the trick!  It launches just fine now :-)

> > 2.  Using my LogFilePatternReceiver config, which used to work
> > fine, to view
> > files on my local file system, it only shows only the first line of
> > the file
> > where the same config used to show all the lines of the file in the
> > previous
> > webstart version.  Here's my config followed by a sample log file
> > line (of
> > which there a sevaral hundred existing, but only the first one
> > displays in
> > Chainsaw ATM)...
> >
> >     <plugin name="LogFileReceiver1"
> > class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LogFilePatternReceiver">
> >         <param name="fileURL"
> > value="file:///C:/bea/user_projects/domains/mydomain/config/logs/
> > myserver-main.log"/>
> >         <param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-dd
> > HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
> >         <param name="logFormat" value="TIMESTAMP LEVEL LOGGER -
> > MESSAGE"/>
> >         <param name="name" value="MainLog"/>
> >         <param name="tailing" value="true"/>
> >     </plugin>
> >
> > 2005-12-19 16:21:53,471 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl
> > - Reading
> > CodeTable -: CompanyCode
> >

> To completely eliminate webstart from the mix, could you try the
> chainsaw-bundle.zip shell script version and see if you get the same
> issue?

I'll try that out.  Not sure I'll get to it today, but soon.

> Incidently what is the _2nd_ line in the log file?

Here's the first 7 lines...

2005-12-19 16:21:53,471 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl - Reading
CodeTable -: CompanyCode
2005-12-19 16:21:54,783 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl - Reading
CodeTable -: ReqCodeTr
2005-12-19 16:21:56,185 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl - Reading
CodeTable -: EmailtypeCode
2005-12-19 16:21:56,285 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl - Reading
CodeTable -: GenderCode
2005-12-19 16:21:56,365 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl - Reading
CodeTable -: PolprodCode
2005-12-19 16:21:56,566 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl - Reading
CodeTable -: ReqCode
2005-12-19 16:22:00,602 INFO  model.codetable.CodeTableServiceImpl - Reading
CodeTable -: PolicyStatusCode

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Update:

If I use the .jnlp file at
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/webstart/chainsaw/upload/webstart-bundle-20060202/,
it works just fine... well, at least it installs.  I'm still seeing some
issues...

1. "error creating log panel" in the chainaw-log tab...

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Identifier not found
	at javax.swing.table.DefaultTableColumnModel.getColumnIndex(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JTable.getColumn(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogPanel$28.newKeyAdded(LogPanel.java:841)
	at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel.fireNewKeyColumnAdded(ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel.java:548)
	at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel.isAddRow(ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel.java:489)
	at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogPanel.receiveEventBatch(LogPanel.java:1386)
	at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.buildLogPanel(LogUI.java:1834)
	at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.access$3(LogUI.java:1770)
	at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI$NewTabEventBatchReceiver.receiveEventBatch(LogUI.java:1953)
	at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawAppenderHandler$WorkQueue$WorkerThread.dispatchEventBatch(ChainsawAppenderHandler.java:342)
	at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawAppenderHandler$WorkQueue$WorkerThread.run(ChainsawAppenderHandler.java:298)

[...]

    <plugin name="VFSReceiver"
class="org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.vfs.VFSLogFilePatternReceiver">
        <param name="fileURL"
value="sftp://login:pass@myserver.com/path/to/logs/main.log"/>
        <param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-d HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
        <param name="logFormat" value="TIMESTAMP LEVEL LOGGER - MESSAGE"/>
        <param name="filterExpression" value="LEVEL > WARN"/>
        <param name="name" value="MyServer"/>
        <param name="tailing" value="true"/>
    </plugin>

One issue I might have is that my real password has a "?" in it.  I tried both
"?" itself and the URL escaped version "%3F".  I get no difference.  I also
tried it with and without specifying the port (22).  I'm using VFS-RC7 or later
(I can't remember whether I built it myself or not?).  Not sure what to make of
this.  If it works for you, then I wouldn't worry about this too much until I
can verify whether I can get VFS to find the file directly using the VFS API.
I'll let you know what I find.

Jake

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hi Paul,