Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alex Cairncross <al...@hotmail.com> on 2004/06/27 17:45:09 UTC

[users@httpd] apache behind a router

ok so, I've scoured the internet for every resolution to fix this and still
haven't resolved the issue.

I'm running a Linksys wrt54g router with one computer on a wireless, and
mine directly to the router.

I can access apache when it's running on both the computers so I'm fine with
apache I assume. However I have the problem that I've read in many places,
that no one outside can access my server.

port forwarding is set properly to 80, directed to my machine's IP. if I try
and listen on another port and forward it accordingly, i just get the router
admin page.

when I try and do a port scan there is no response to my TCP.
I don't think it responds to any ping either. I disabled block anonymous
internet requests, so that maybe it would work, but that failed as well.

I'm sure the issue is my router and not apache
but I've been trying everything I possibly can to try and make it so that my
server shows up to other remote computers. It doesn't make sense that
everythign is set up properly, and my forwardning should work but apparently
it's not working for whatever reason.

Is there anyone that can help me resolve this?
I've searched FAQ's and tons of forum threads on the same exact problems to
no avail.

thanks for your time

~alex

Re: [users@httpd] apache behind a router

Posted by Jonathan Mangin <jo...@comcast.net>.
> ok so, I've scoured the internet for every resolution to fix this and
still
> haven't resolved the issue.
>
> I'm running a Linksys wrt54g router with one computer on a wireless, and
> mine directly to the router.
>
> I can access apache when it's running on both the computers so I'm fine
with
> apache I assume. However I have the problem that I've read in many places,
> that no one outside can access my server.
>
> port forwarding is set properly to 80, directed to my machine's IP. if I
try
> and listen on another port and forward it accordingly, i just get the
router
> admin page.
>
> when I try and do a port scan there is no response to my TCP.
> I don't think it responds to any ping either. I disabled block anonymous
> internet requests, so that maybe it would work, but that failed as well.
>
> I'm sure the issue is my router and not apache
> but I've been trying everything I possibly can to try and make it so that
my
> server shows up to other remote computers. It doesn't make sense that
> everythign is set up properly, and my forwardning should work but
apparently
> it's not working for whatever reason.
>
> Is there anyone that can help me resolve this?
> I've searched FAQ's and tons of forum threads on the same exact problems
> no avail.
>
> thanks for your time
>
> ~alex

You didn't mention whether you've verified your ISP
does not block port 80.

-Jon

Re: [users@httpd] apache behind a router

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Alex Cairncross wrote:

> I'm running a Linksys wrt54g router with one computer on a wireless, and
> mine directly to the router.

Google for ECN bug.  Linksys are notorious for it:-(

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] apache behind a router

Posted by Roger <cr...@cox.net>.
Alex Cairncross wrote:

> ok so, I've scoured the internet for every resolution to fix this and
> still haven't resolved the issue.
>
> I'm running a Linksys wrt54g router with one computer on a wireless,
> and mine directly to the router.
>
> I can access apache when it's running on both the computers so I'm
> fine with apache I assume. However I have the problem that I've read
> in many places, that no one outside can access my server.
>
> port forwarding is set properly to 80, directed to my machine's IP. if
> I try and listen on another port and forward it accordingly, i just
> get the router admin page.
>
> when I try and do a port scan there is no response to my TCP.
> I don't think it responds to any ping either. I disabled block
> anonymous internet requests, so that maybe it would work, but that
> failed as well.
>
> I'm sure the issue is my router and not apache
> but I've been trying everything I possibly can to try and make it so
> that my server shows up to other remote computers. It doesn't make
> sense that everythign is set up properly, and my forwardning should
> work but apparently it's not working for whatever reason.
>
> Is there anyone that can help me resolve this?
> I've searched FAQ's and tons of forum threads on the same exact
> problems to no avail.
>
> thanks for your time
>
> ~alex

 A possibility is you have an unfriendly ISP and they have blocked port
80 because running a web server on your residential service is a
violation of your TOS (Terms Of Service). Or you have a very friendly
ISP and they have blocked port 80 to prevent your PC from being infected
by a virus.

Assuming you have the firewall protection enabled under the "security"
tab (a very good idea), go to the "applications & gaming" tab and enable
the port you wish to use. Additional details may include nailing your IP
address (not using DHCP) on the PC running apache.

To test whether your ISP has port 80 blocked, tell apache to listen on
some port with a high number below 65,735 (say 54321) and try to access
from the outside world like this:
  http://123.123.123.123:54321

where 123.123.123.123 is your external IP address from your router
"status" tab and 54321 is the port you used in the apache Listen statement.

Roger