Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/12 03:00:09 UTC

That extra 'src'

While the site plugin is not the most important thing in creation, and
I'll probably eventually find some solution for it, I have to wonder
why you-all are attached to that extra level of src directory. The
common practice (I hesitate to write 'best' practice) is just to put
the module dirs right there at the top level. If you just happened to
switch to that, the site plugin would just roll over and cooperate.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
Eclipse might be happier. Last night, I start looking at the
individual modules as separate Eclipse projects because the parent
project would not compile as an Eclipse project. I know that Eclipse
is not the only IDE and might not be the best basis for a decision,
but it does seem like many of the committers use it.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:
> Ok, who is going to do the move?  This made me start thinking about
> how Apache works.
>
> Benson, you will be on our PMC when we graduate.  Does this mean you
> will be a committer?  There was some discussion that a committer may
> not be on the PMC, now I am wondering about the reverse.

So, the conventional situation is that the PMC is a subset (possibly
improper) of the committers. However, it's not the only option. There
have been discussions of situations in which a community wants to vote
someone in as part of the supervisory structure (PMC) who has no use
for, and/or hasn't ever contributed to justify, committer karma. I
could be on the PMC and not have committer karma until I've
contributed enough work, assuming that I ever did. The initial setup
of the TLP has some ambiguity to it this way; no one is going to be
really shocked and surprised I just quietly end up with karma based on
PMC membership. I am on the OpenNLP PMC for the same reason I'm listed
with you, and, in fact, I don't know if I have karma, since the
question has never come up. I rather bet that someone just took the
list from the resolution and made everyone the same in that case, and
that will happen here unless Billie takes steps to avoid it.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
Looks like "wiggle" might do the trick: it will inline the .rej files for
you.

-Eric

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Merging from 1.4 to trunk

Posted by Christopher Tubbs <ct...@gmail.com>.
I would say that it'd be nice if all changes in older branches were
also merged to newer branches... this keeps things linear, and helps
ensure no bug regressions (because all fixes in older versions can be
merged to newer versions, even if they don't apply). So, I would say
yes, the entire tree should be merged... for documentation purposes at
least. This means you might want to merge branch/src/core to
trunk/core, and then do a superficial merge (resolve conflicts, revert
changes, commit merge metadata only) from branch/ to trunk/ to ensure
the whole tree is documented as merged (assuming it was previously
fully merged before your changes).

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right, I wasn't sure if there was guidance as to whether one should always
> make sure the entire tree is merged, or if merging of single changes is
> acceptable (assuming someone else will come by later and make sure dangling
> fixes aren't left in 1.4).
>
> On 09/09/2012 04:44 PM, Christopher Tubbs wrote:
>>
>> It seems to me that you can merge directly from branch/src/core to
>> trunk/core, or from branch/src/server to trunk/server. That, of
>> course, assumes you're only merging changes isolated to a single
>> submodule that was previously in src/
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Josh Elser<jo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Looking back at my dev@accumulo history, Billie gave some guidance on how
>>> make subversion place nicely with the change from /src/$module to
>>> /$module
>>> between 1.4 and trunk. http://accumulo.apache.org/source.html says to
>>> consult dev@accumulo for instructions.
>>>
>>> Is Billie's guidance below still the best way to get around this?
>>> Manually
>>> resolving the conflicts every time seems like a pain, but if that's how
>>> it
>>> is, so be it.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>> from 1.4 to trunk; then take the list of revisions merged and merge those

Re: Merging from 1.4 to trunk

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Merging from 1.4 to trunk (was: That extra 'src')

Posted by Christopher Tubbs <ct...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: That extra 'src'

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.
On Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:00:09 PM, "Benson Margulies" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While the site plugin is not the most important thing in creation, and
> I'll probably eventually find some solution for it, I have to wonder
> why you-all are attached to that extra level of src directory. The
> common practice (I hesitate to write 'best' practice) is just to put
> the module dirs right there at the top level. If you just happened to
> switch to that, the site plugin would just roll over and cooperate.

I'd be fine with that.  Anyone else have feelings about it?

Billie