Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Faraaz Sareshwala <fs...@quantcast.com> on 2016/01/26 03:06:14 UTC

Introducing myself and adding QFS

Hello everyone in the Bigtop community!

My name is Faraaz Sareshwala and I am an engineer working at Quantcast to integrate QFS (https://quantcast.github.io/qfs) into the Bigtop project. I just wanted to send a small note out to introduce myself to the community and announce that we are working on an integration. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about QFS, our integration, or Quantcast itself.

At this point, I am nearly complete integrating QFS. I plan to submit a patch through github and JIRA later in the week or early next week once I get a chance to test everything is working correctly. I’ve read the wiki on contribution to the project, but if you guys have any other tips or guidance for me, I’d really appreciate that.

Patch coming soon!

Take care,
Faraaz

Re: Introducing myself and adding QFS

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
What Evans said. Incremental steps are always preferable to one bulky patch.
This https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1769 comes to mind as a
decent example of such addition. Basically, the following parts need to be
addresses for a new component:
 - packaging
 - package tests
 - smoke tests (at very least). In case of QFS perhaps existing HCFS tests
   might suffice
 - puppet recipes for automatic deployment and configuration
 - documentations/READMEs if any needed.
 - license clearance: as you work toward adding new component make sure to run
   'gradle rat' to make sure all new stuff is compliant with ASF license
   requirements. If you add code licenses under different licenses, those
   would need to be listed in the NOTICE

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:50AM, Evans Ye wrote:
> Hi Faraaz Sareshwala,
>
> Welcome to the Bigtop community!
> If you're already doing the patch. I strongly suggest you to open up a
> JIRA, elaborate the integration, and discuss with the community first.
> That way we can minimal the effort of rewriting patches.
>
> One question after I took a glance on QFS, with RAID 1 setup on metaserver,
> the data can be persist safely, but what about the software running on it?
> Does that has SPOF?

Just a side node: as you know literally _all_ components in Hadoop-based stack
have SPOF. Best case sceneario - two SPOFs in case of HDFS HA. The only
exclusion of the rule is Ignite with its master-less architecture.

Cos

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
Hi Faraaz Sareshwala,

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Please add Your name to the MAINTAINERS.txt file in the PR for "QFS" !

--
jay vyas

Re: Introducing myself and adding QFS

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.