Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by antonio <an...@email.it> on 2011/05/26 16:36:42 UTC

solr 3.1 without slf4j-jdk14-1.5.5.jar

Reading the wiki, for use solrj i must use this lib:

>From /lib
•slf4j-jdk14-1.5.5.jar

But there isn't no one directory call lib, and no one jar called
slf4j-jdk14-1.5.5.jar .

Is it necessary? When i can get it?

Re: solr 3.1 without slf4j-jdk14-1.5.5.jar

Posted by Juan Antonio Farré Basurte <ju...@reviewpro.com>.
If I'm not wrong, solrj uses slf4j for logging. slf4j-api.jar provides the api, but is not capable by itself to do the actual logging.
For it to be able to log, it needs an actual implementation, usually a binding to some other logging library.
slf4j-jdk14 is the binding that uses the logging API in the JDK (since v 1.4) to do the actual logging.
Solrj needs slf4j-api and at one binding. You have to choose one and can exclude jars for other bindings.

The options are:
slf4j-log4j12 -> binding to log4j library version 1.2. Delegates logging to log4j.
slf4j-jdk14 -> binding to JDK logging library (in JDK v 1.4 or greater). Delegates logging to the JDK.
slf4j-nop -> is a dummy implementation that silently discards all log messages
slf4j-simple -> is itself an implementation that logs messages to System.err (only messages of level INFO or higher).
slf4j-jcl -> binding for Jakarta Commons Logging library. Delegates logging to JCL.

It's also documented a dependency to jcl-over-slf4j. This is quite the opposite of slf4j-jcl. While the latter implements slf4j api delegating logging to jcl, the former implements jcl api delegating logging to slf4j.
I don't really think that solrj is using this (not sure). I believe that solrj uses slf4j. Needing jcl-over-slf4j would mean that some code in solrj does not use slf4j api but jcl api and needs also an implementation for it. If you take a look to maven repositories, there is no such dependency for solrj, so I guess it's not really needed.

I hope I managed to explain it clearly.

Cheers,

Juan