Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/08 20:21:19 UTC

5.5 soon?

There are quite a few things in the master now that would be useful for me.
I was going to finish up what is assigned for me and create an issue for
upgrading Hibernate (5.2 is Java 8 only) but turns out I cannot create JIRA
issues anymore (I suppose because of the recent JIRA lockdown). Oh well,
I'll do without an issue. Anybody else thinking about anything critical for
5.5?

Kalle

Re: 5.5 soon?

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de>.
I'd appreciate some feedback on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2548

Re: 5.5 soon?

Posted by Andreas Ernst <ae...@ae-online.de>.
Am 14.07.16 um 15:33 schrieb Robert Zeigler:
> I\u2019m in favor of a transition release where we warn with the big bright warnings that in the next release, we\u2019ll be switching to the jQuery infrastructure by default.  I would also suggest adding a means of determining whether people are using the out-of-the-box prototype configuration and adding a runtime warning for those cases as an additional way of indicating \u201cHey, you need to add this configuration in 5.5 so your app won\u2019t break in 5.6\u201d.

+1 for that.

--
ae | Andreas Ernst | IT Spektrum
Postfach 5, 65612 Beselich

Re: 5.5 soon?

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.
I’m in favor of a transition release where we warn with the big bright warnings that in the next release, we’ll be switching to the jQuery infrastructure by default.  I would also suggest adding a means of determining whether people are using the out-of-the-box prototype configuration and adding a runtime warning for those cases as an additional way of indicating “Hey, you need to add this configuration in 5.5 so your app won’t break in 5.6”.

Robert

Re: 5.5 soon?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
<jo...@eddyson.de> wrote:

> +1 to all of that.

;)

Re: 5.5 soon?

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de>.
Hi,

----- On Jul 12, 2016, at 12:20 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo thiagohp@gmail.com wrote:
>> 1. "Prototype will no longer be bundled with Tapestry starting in
>> Tapestry
>> 5.5."
>
> If we do that, I'd still like for us to keep the JS framework abstraction
> layer. Maybe we can make a vanilla JS implementation of it in the future
> to be an option to jQuery. In addition, I don't see the point of removing
> what isn't broken.

+1 to all of that.
On a side note, should we default to the jQuery infrastructure for 5.5?

Jochen

Re: 5.5 soon?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:33:24 -0300, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not critical, but I finished changes for
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2539 a while ago and just need
> to add tests. But if you're motivated to do a 5.5 release before I
> commit, that's perfectly fine.

The sooner, the better. :) There are a couple things I'd like to do in
5.4.x for a long time but I haven't had a chance, but we can release a new
version of it after 5.5 is out, of course merging the implementation in
5.5.

> Previously, Howard had said the following about Tapestry 5.5. I mention
> these in case someone thinks they are important to address now (I
> don't)...

Me too.

Re: 5.5 soon?

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
Not critical, but I finished changes for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2539 a while ago and just need
to add tests. But if you're motivated to do a 5.5 release before I commit,
that's perfectly fine.

Previously, Howard had said the following about Tapestry 5.5. I mention
these in case someone thinks they are important to address now (I don't)...

1. "Prototype will no longer be bundled with Tapestry starting in Tapestry
5.5."

2. "Virtually all of Tapestry's existing JavaScript libraries are being
recoded as JavaScript modules; in 5.5, the remaining JavaScript libraries
will be removed."

3. "Only a limited number of properties exported in
the T5 and Tapestry namespaces (on the client) still exist; enough to
continue to support the T5.initializers approach to page initialization
that was used in Tapestry 5.3 and earlier. These will be eliminated
entirely in Tapestry 5.5."

4. "ValidationDecoratorFactory are deprecated in 5.4 and will be removed in
5.5"

5. ClientBehaviorSupport ... "the service and interface will be removed in
5.5."

6. "In Tapestry 5.5, support for classpath assets *not* under
META-INF/assets will
be removed."