Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ramprasad <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2006/07/12 12:08:01 UTC

mangled uris

Spamassassin works pretty great for me, but some spammers keep
upgrading. Some of my clients are still getting stupid spams thru

I think this was discussed before how do I catch spam with mangled urls.
Sorry if this is a repeat

Something like

------------------
visit
http://somespammmersite. com  ... delet the space befre the com
-----------------

I dont know if the spammer will ever get any customer to really "delet"
the space and go to the url he intends.

 I dont understand the business sense behind this spam. Its a lose -
lose game. The spammer never gets anyone to click,( who would click a
broken url and fix it and click again )  the site owner never gets hits,
the spam filter guy gets more headaches and the end user has to delete
one more mail.

Thanks
Ram

Re: mangled uris

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:35, JamesDR took the opportunity to write:
> Ramprasad wrote:
> >  I dont understand the business sense behind this spam. Its a lose -
> > lose game. The spammer never gets anyone to click,( who would click a
> > broken url and fix it and click again )  the site owner never gets hits,
> > the spam filter guy gets more headaches and the end user has to delete
> > one more mail.
>
> I think it has more to do with them knowing their current efforts are in
> vain. So now it has come down to some rather odd tricks. I've seen a few
> that say webaddress and instruct the 'reader' to add http://www to the
> beginning and .dom to the ending. This to me seems fruitless, but it
> must be working on some group of people because I still see a few mails
> with this technique a day. It goes back to what users will do, and what
> they won't. Seems some will do what the spamer wants :-D

In particular when it comes to getting the lower department back in business,
I guess. :-)

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)

Re: mangled uris

Posted by JamesDR <ro...@bellsouth.net>.
Ramprasad wrote:
> Spamassassin works pretty great for me, but some spammers keep
> upgrading. Some of my clients are still getting stupid spams thru
>
> I think this was discussed before how do I catch spam with mangled urls.
> Sorry if this is a repeat
>
> Something like
>
> ------------------
> visit
> http://somespammmersite. com  ... delet the space befre the com
> -----------------
>
> I dont know if the spammer will ever get any customer to really "delet"
> the space and go to the url he intends.
>
>  I dont understand the business sense behind this spam. Its a lose -
> lose game. The spammer never gets anyone to click,( who would click a
> broken url and fix it and click again )  the site owner never gets hits,
> the spam filter guy gets more headaches and the end user has to delete
> one more mail.
>

> Thanks
> Ram

I think it has more to do with them knowing their current efforts are in
vain. So now it has come down to some rather odd tricks. I've seen a few
that say webaddress and instruct the 'reader' to add http://www to the
beginning and .dom to the ending. This to me seems fruitless, but it
must be working on some group of people because I still see a few mails
with this technique a day. It goes back to what users will do, and what
they won't. Seems some will do what the spamer wants :-D

JamesDR