Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Yinwei Li <25...@qq.com> on 2017/02/25 00:48:04 UTC

carbondata vs. impala performance test under benchmark tpc-ds

Hi all,

  I've made a simple performance test under benchmark tpc-ds using spark2.1.0+carbondata1.0.0 and Impala 2.7.0+parquet, well the result seems unsatisfactory. The details are as follows:

  About Env:
    Hadoop 2.7.2 + Spark 2.1.0 + CarbonData 1.0.0
    Impala 2.7.0
    Cluster: 5 nodes, 32G mem per node
  About TPC-DS:
    Data size: 1G (test data generation script: ./dsdgen -scale 1 -suffix '.csv' -dir /data/tpc-ds/data/)
    Max records num of the tables: table name - inventory, record num - 11,745,000
  About Performance Tuning:
    Spark:
      SPARK_WORKER_MEMORY=4g
      SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES=4
    Carbondata:
      Leaving Default to avoid configuration difference.

  About Performance Test Result【Spark+CarbonData】:
    SQL that can execute without modify: 70% (using sql template netezza)
    Max duration: 39.00s
    Min duration: 2.18s
    Average duration: 9.99s

  About Performance Test Result【Impala+Parquert】:
    SQL that can execute without modify: 70% (using sql template netezza)
    Max duration: 16.75s
    Min duration: 0.42s
    Average duration: 2.18s

  U can get the details in the  attachment of this e-mail.

Sheet 1
                                                 SQLSpark + CarbonDataImpala + Parquet
116.51 16.75
214.43 16.48
328.01 8.87
43.53
515.37 9.78
611.19 1.84
7
8 0.75
95.86 8.54
106.95 1.42
1117.40 1.06
125.05
13 1.05
145.13 4.59
15 1.13
163.42 0.72
176.25
18 3.88
194.04
205.61
2139.00 6.58
225.03
235.42 0.94
247.13 1.06
25 5.06
26 1.08
2711.28
286.43 0.72
299.87 1.07
303.52 0.75
315.49 0.96
32 1.21
33 0.51
347.24 8.47
353.96
3611.89
37 0.81
38 0.70
396.07 0.57
40
41 0.68
429.70 1.42
4332.35 1.89
44 2.80
45 0.68
464.27 0.51
479.67 1.37
4815.03
49 1.97
504.07
5117.81 2.17
5236.15 1.34
536.17 0.71
549.78 1.52
5512.23
569.40
577.17 0.62
584.48 0.82
59
602.48 0.53
61 0.92
622.18 0.52
63
645.24
65 0.43
66 0.42
67 1.61
68 1.62
69
70
7122.34
7217.34
7322.30 1.48
744.72 1.16
755.41 1.03
764.51 0.72
774.85
78 0.79
7916.80 1.17
8011.38
81
823.81 0.71
83
845.17
852.22 0.53
863.59 0.74
87
885.39 0.82
89 0.83
90
915.57 0.72
926.16 0.95
9310.12
946.21
957.63
966.48
9730.74 1.63
98 0.85
999.01 1.16
10010.71 0.65
101 1.20
102
1037.67 1.37
AVG9.99 2.18
COUNT69 69

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Thank you shared the test result.
It would be more reasonable if you could do the test comparison with same
compute engine.
Spark 2.1+parquet , Spark 2.1+carbondata.
Are you interested in participating in doing this test along with
us.(carbondata,parquet)

Regards
Liang

李寅威 wrote