Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au> on 2009/07/20 07:03:59 UTC

best or common practice for application plug-ins

I'm probably revealing my inexperience with J2EE environments in asking
this, but how do Wicket programmers typically handle application "add-
ons" (or "plug-ins" or "modules").

I'm interested in emulating what happens in the Zope/Plone world (which
is where I've come from). In the case of Zope, you have a tool called
'buildout' and configuration file (buildout.cfg) where you can, among
other things, tell buildout what modules/plug-ins you want to install.
You then run the buildout script, which will take care of finding
dependencies, downloading your modules and dependencies and installing
them into the right place. Then the next time you run Zope, those modules
are available.

Buildout used in this way is a tool used by sys admins after you have
deployed your Zope instance. A concrete example might be to add LDAP
authentication to Zope - this would involve using buildout to install the
correct modules, and then going into Zope and configuring the LDAP
components. I know it sounds very much like maven, and perhaps maven can
be used in this way. But generally I have considered maven to be a
developer tool - at least that is how I use it.

In my current case, I have created a web application framework built
using Wicket. I want to have a core component and the add-ons/plug-ins
such as LDAP authentication, CMS components, etc. that can be installed
easily into a generic Granite deployment.

Does that makes sense? How have Wicket people approached this?

Buidlout can also build and install modules you are developing, as well
as configure parts of Zope (such as the timezone). Sometime you just use
buildout to upgrade your modules. I'm interested in approaches that
encompass that as well. I'm not to fussed about having to restart the
server.

Re: best or common practice for application plug-ins

Posted by Ben Tilford <be...@gmail.com>.
I think maven 3 is supposed to allow using OSGi bundles for versioning etc..

Posted by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>.

Posted by Olger Warnier <ol...@xs4all.nl>.
Hi Sam,

Posted by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>.

Posted by Olger Warnier <ol...@xs4all.nl>.
Hi Sam,

Posted by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>.
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:25:17 +0200, Linda van der Pal wrote:

> Seeing how it looks like you want to create your own CMS, you might want
> to have a look at Hippo CMS. They've built it in Wicket AFAIK.

I've seen Hippo, but my main aim is not to create a CMS. One of my goal
applications is more to do with identity management, but that's another
story. However, I used CM as an example of something that could be added
to the core framework.

Re: best or common practice for application plug-ins

Posted by Linda van der Pal <lv...@heritageagenturen.nl>.
Seeing how it looks like you want to create your own CMS, you might want
to have a look at Hippo CMS. They've built it in Wicket AFAIK.

Regards,
Linda

Posted by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>.

Posted by Per Lundholm <pe...@gmail.com>.
Well, plug-ins, are they compile-time or run-time?  Sounds like compile-time
from your description.

Also, from your description, it sounds that it is more than web-tier.
Remember Wicket is web-tier only.

There are solutions for the server tier for plug-ins. Look att OSGi
http://www.osgi.org and ESB.

/Per

Posted by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>.
Yes, different because I'm not talking about a collection of components
per se, but how add-on components are deployed to an already running
application by systems administrators, not developers, as per my initial
post.

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.

Posted by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>.

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.

Posted by Sam Stainsby <sa...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>.
Thanks Adrian for sending through the details.

We are now also looking at Apache Geronimo that has some interesting
features for plugins.

Thanks all,
Sam.

Posted by Adrian Wiesmann <aw...@somap.org>.
Hi Sam

> I'm probably revealing my inexperience with J2EE environments in asking
> this, but how do Wicket programmers typically handle application "add-
> ons" (or "plug-ins" or "modules").

What I (we) did was to imitate what Eclipse does. Defining hooks and
having plugins attach to these hooks (and even define new hooks). We did
this using a mixture of XML, Java, Script and DB tables. While we started
with Swing, we "ported" this to Wicket as well.

Our reason for doing so sounds similar to your thoughts: Deploying a core
application and having other (third party) developers add, change and
enhance to the core application.