Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by dave <dm...@woh.rr.com> on 2004/09/20 01:27:11 UTC

subversion server on FreeBSD

Hello,
    Is anyone running a subversion server on Freebsd either 4.x or 5.x? I'm
trying to get one going to replace an existing cvs server primarily for
reasons of binary files and moving/copying files and directories. I've read
several howtos and tutorials on this subject, getting the server going not
fbsd i mean well one on that, but i am having difficulties getting what i'm
reading in to a working server. I've got apache 2.0.50 installed, db42, and
subversion 1.0.6 via FreeBSD ports. I'm not sure if i want to go httpd or
svnserve right now whichever i get going first has it, as i am having a time
crunch not to mention user's. Currently i've got ten user's each one i want
to make a separate repository for and let them manage there own stuff with
little interaction from me save configuration and server upkeep. So i've got
a user dmehler and he's got his own repository to which he can add/remove
numerous projects. Another user has a repository but they're independent of
each other. Authenticated user's only should have read/write access while
anonymous user's only readonly access.
    Thanks.
Dave.

Re: subversion server on FreeBSD

Posted by "Bruce A. Mah" <bm...@acm.org>.
If memory serves me right, dave wrote:

>     Is anyone running a subversion server on Freebsd either 4.x or
> 5.x?

I have two servers running subversion 1.0.6 (installed from ports) on
FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE.  They're accessed by FreeBSD 4.X, FreeBSD 5.X,
and RedHat 9 clients using svn+ssh.

> I'm
> trying to get one going to replace an existing cvs server primarily for
> reasons of binary files and moving/copying files and directories. I've read
> several howtos and tutorials on this subject, getting the server going not
> fbsd i mean well one on that, but i am having difficulties getting what i'm
> reading in to a working server.

Have you RTFM-ed?   It's actually quite good.

> I've got apache 2.0.50 installed, db42, and
> subversion 1.0.6 via FreeBSD ports.

That's a good start.  According to my records, I built www/apache2
WITH_BERKELEYDB=db42 and devel/subversion WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN=yes and
WITH_SVNSERVE_WRAPPER=yes.  Although access to both repository servers
is via svn+ssh, I wanted the option for http access later, perhaps to
support some sort of anonymous access.

> I'm not sure if i want to go httpd or
> svnserve right now whichever i get going first has it, as i am having a time
> crunch not to mention user's. Currently i've got ten user's each one i want
> to make a separate repository for and let them manage there own stuff with
> little interaction from me save configuration and server upkeep. So i've got
> a user dmehler and he's got his own repository to which he can add/remove
> numerous projects. Another user has a repository but they're independent of
> each other. Authenticated user's only should have read/write access while
> anonymous user's only readonly access.

Although my setups are much simpler than yours, I don't see anything
in here that should pose any particular problem for a FreeBSD
subversion server.  Do you have any specific problems or questions?

Bruce.