Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions" <mi...@blacknightsolutions.com> on 2004/11/08 14:13:16 UTC

OT: Badly formatted HTML- best practices?

Hi all

We deal with a very wide variety of clients and suppliers that use just
about every email client possible, however one of our suppliers' help desk
sends out very "spammy" HTML emails.

We have whitelisted them, but I was wondering what is the best practice
here?

Should we inform them that their mails are likely to be caught be email
filters or should we let them live on in blissful ignorance?

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd
Hosting, co-location & domains
http://www.blacknight.ie/
Tel. +353 59 9137101
http://www.blacknight.ie/specialoffers.html

--
Email scanned by Blacknight for viruses and dangerous content.
Visit http://www.blacknight.ie for more information

Re: OT: Badly formatted HTML- best practices?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions wrote on Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:13:16
-0000:

> Should we inform them that their mails are likely to be caught be email
> filters or should we let them live on in blissful ignorance?

They are not using Incredimail by chance? If one of our clients and
suppliers uses HTML regularly and it gets on my nerves (which means
pictures were attached, otherwise I hardly notice it) I ask them to send
in plain/text to us. Most of them follow this request. And if mail gets
regularly caught because of spammyness I also tell them. Since this
happens rarely I can't tell how effective it is. It seems that
"newsletter" type or automated mail doesn't get changed, individual mail
gets.

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: not scanning for virus after spamscan

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 04:46 AM 11/10/2004, Roel Bindels wrote:
>Hello List
>
>I'm using amavis (old version) wich does the spam scanning and I'm using
>amavis for virus scan.
>
>When a virus is marked as spam no virusscan takes place.
>Does anyone kwon why this is and how this can be fixed
>
>greetings Roel Bindels
>
>(config files can be send on request)

*shrug*. Might I suggest asking on the amavis list? There will be more
amavis-savvy people there than here.

p.s. misdirected To: for Bob Proulx removed.

Misdirected references headers caused by abusing a reply not removed.

In the future, be aware that editing the subject and content of a message
will not fool the list archives or any thread-aware mail readers that
understand the References: header. These tools will keep track of your
message as a reply, not a subject of it's own, despite the changes to the
subject line and body.)

Re: not scanning for virus after spamscan

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Roel,

Roel Bindels wrote:
> To: users@spamassassin.apache.org, Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>
> Hello List

I am NOT the mailing list!

This is a great example of why doing a group reply to a message and
just changing the subject is not good.  You replied to my last message
about "Badly formatted HTML- best practices?".  Please don't do that
unless you have something to say about that topic.

To start a new topic start a NEW message.  Please see the discussion
about this just a few days ago.

Thanks
Bob

not scanning for virus after spamscan

Re: Badly formatted HTML- best practices?

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Loren Wilton wrote:
> > Should we inform them that their mails are likely to be caught be email
> > filters or should we let them live on in blissful ignorance?
>
> I personally try to suggest ways to fix things occasionally.
> It almost invariably has no results, but I figure it is worth trying now and
> then.

Me too.  When I am motivated I try to educate people.  But rarely does
it do any good.  But keep fighting the good fight just the same.

Bob

Re: Badly formatted HTML- best practices?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Should we inform them that their mails are likely to be caught be email
> filters or should we let them live on in blissful ignorance?

I personally try to suggest ways to fix things occasionally.
It almost invariably has no results, but I figure it is worth trying now and
then.

        Loren