Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Niels Bo <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/03 12:57:56 UTC

AJAX slower than full page update

Hi

I have observed that using AJAX to update of large content of a page is much
slower than
updating the full page withou AJAX. For example AJAX sorting a big DataTable
(10x25) can be much slower that without AJAX, and I often see "Client
parsetime" of more than a second in IE.
FireFox seems to be faster, so I am hoping that is is possible to optimize
the Wicket AJAX Javascript.

Is this somthing that you Wicket developers will look into?

Best Regards
Niels

Re: AJAX slower than full page update

Posted by "Keith R. Bennett" <kb...@bbsinc.biz>.
I too am experiencing extremely slow performance on IE.

I just did a test on an Ajax call on IE, Firefox, and Opera, running on the
same machine running Windows.

Here are the results, in seconds:

2.4: IE
0.7: Firefox
0.6: Opera

I'm doing nothing fancy, but there is a data table (about 12 columns,
variable number of rows, say 10-20).  We could perhaps do a page udpate
rather than an Ajax call, but then would lose the position on the page.

Any clue as to why, and how to fix it?  The client is committed to IE
unfortunately so we can't just tell them to dump it.

- Keith

Re: AJAX slower than full page update

Posted by Niels Bo <ni...@gmail.com>.
hmm..ok, then it must be something in my application...
And is was. My table contains lots of small icons, that are not really
cached in development mode.
The time shown as "client parsetime" then includes the time to call the
server maybe 50 times to check if all the icons are up to date, and
switching to deployment mode made a very big difference.

So thanks for the help!

Niels

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niels Bo <ni...@gmail.com>.