Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Igor Fedorenko <if...@thinkdynamics.com> on 2002/09/06 18:49:39 UTC

Extending DefaultApplication

Hi,

I need to extend DefaultApplication in order to setup "default" security
context for blocks. I am planning to introduce a factory of Application
instances, so one can configure non-default implementation of
Application interface (JaasApplication in my case). However, I have
noticed that DefaultApplication is final and all its supporting classes
(BlockEntry, BlockInvocationHandler and alike) are package protected and
final. Would  it be a problem if I relax these restructions, i.e. make
DefaultApplication non-final and make its supporting classes public
non-final as needed?

--
Igor Fedorenko
Think smart. Think automated. Think Dynamics.

Re: Extending DefaultApplication

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <if...@thinkdynamics.com>.
public final class DefaultApplication => public class DefaultApplication
class BlockEntry => public final class BlockEntry
Plus a factory of Application instances.

I will include these changes into security patch (or patches) I am going
to submit week after next week.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 23:00, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> I need to set default security context for components (a.k.a. blocks) to
> be used when components are *not* working on behalf of a user/external
> system. For example I have Startable component that starts new threads
> to monitor some external devices. When new information becomes available
> this component calls other components and it has to provide security
> credentials to perform these calls. Important point here is that the
> calls are initiated from inside the system, so there is no user/external
> system to authenticate.

In that case we probably do need to extend application in some way. Can you
describe your minimum requirements for this? ie What is the minimum we can
get away with exposing?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Extending DefaultApplication

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <if...@thinkdynamics.com>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hiya,

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Igor,

In your own fork, of course you can do what you like.  If after some
weeks/months you are still convinced that the reason for forking is good
donate the changes back (against the then head revision) with a report
on its rationale and usage and if it is good, we'd commit it.  My
observation is that you should try to make it a configurable choice via
kenerl.conf.

Regards,

- Paul