Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Ramesh Kakarala <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/21 05:20:07 UTC

How To Get POI JAR With Patches

Does anyone know how I can get the latest official Apache POI version 2 JAR
with all approved patches.  We recently ran into a bug at work with version
2.5.1 where it throws an Exception when attempting to open an Excel
spreadsheet with a Drop Down List.  I see that this Bug is in the Bug database
for the project and a Patch is referenced.  I tried some of the suggested
changes in the Bug thread and they seem to work.  However for work purposes I
could really use the latest blessed Apache v2.5.1 JAR that incorporates this
and other accepted patches.  But this is proving impossible to find.  Sounds
strange to me - wouldn't someone on the project build a JAR with the latest
patches and put it out there - doesn't sound that difficult.  Does anyone know
what's up with this project.  I would kind of like to switch to JExcel which
seems to have a much more active leader, but Apache POI is currently approved
for use in my company and this can be an arduous, senseless, bureaucratic
process.

RE: How To Get POI JAR With Patches

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Tahir Akhtar wrote:
> What it the current recommended stable version? Latest release is 2.5.1
> which is quiet ancient. OTH Current dev version 3.0 seems to in alpha
> for quiet a long time.

This was recently discussed on -dev, in relation to the recent alpha
release. You might get some insight by reading through the logs

> Are people using 3.0 alpha in production?

Yes. Have been since not long after 2.5.1 came out.

> Is there a planned release date for 3.0?

Nope. There won't be a 3.0 final until one of the committers proposes a
vote, and it goes through. I don't think a final will be voted for until
the PowerPoint and Forumla stuff have had some more development.

(That's a mix of my views, and my memories of past list posts. You may
wish to check the archives to hear exactly what the other committers
think)

The thing to remember is that POI is more than just Excel.

Nick

RE: How To Get POI JAR With Patches

Posted by Tahir Akhtar <ta...@spectrum-tech.com>.
Thanks for the info Nick.

What it the current recommended stable version? Latest release is 2.5.1
which is quiet ancient. OTH Current dev version 3.0 seems to in alpha for
quiet a long time.

Are people using 3.0 alpha in production?
Is there a planned release date for 3.0?

We are doing quiet a lot with 2.5.1 so don't feel confident in rolling out
3.0 "alpha" to all of our clients. The word alpha puts the management off :)

Any hints on its stability may help us decide.

In essence we need some formula related fixes that are available in Bugzilla
as patches.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.

Posted by Tahir Akhtar <ta...@spectrum-tech.com>.
http://encore.torchbox.com/poi-svn-build/ builds against the svn HEAD and
may not include patches submitted in bugzilla.

Posted by "Erich W. Schasse" <Sc...@Wiedemann.de>.
try