Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by anorbert <an...@accelrys.com> on 2008/04/23 20:07:20 UTC

Question regarding the deletion of a message from the queue & load balancing consumers

Hi,

We would like to say thanks in advance for any help you can provide us with
answering the following questions:

1.) Is it possible to delete a message once it has been sent but not yet
delivered to a consumer?

2.) We would like to load balance the delivery of messages to the consumers.
A simple description of what we're looking to do would be, in real world
terms, similar to how customers are serviced in a post office: there will be
one line of customers, and several people working at the counter. When a
postal worker becomes available, the customer will be sent to that person.
We would like to configure similar behaviour using ActiveMQ, however at the
moment, it appears that the messages are sent to each consumer, and will
queue up similar to how people would queue in line at the grocery store,
which is not ideal for our purpose.

-- A. N.

Re: Question regarding the deletion of a message from the queue & load balancing consumers

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.
1. You can purge messages via the JMX.

2. You should be able to set up a cluster of consumers where all consumers
in the cluster compete for messages on a particular queue. Over time, I
think you should get an even distribution. If there are messages in the
queue and the consumers are not yet active, the first consumer to start may
initially get a disproportionate number of messages. It may also be the case
that the default prefetch limit may not be appropriate for your deployment.
If your producer is using JMSXGoupID , this will group messages to a
particular consumer.

Joe
Goto www.ttmsolutions.com for a free ActiveMQ user guide