Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> on 1996/02/26 05:05:52 UTC

CVS stuff

Hmm..

I just tried to update my copy of the CVS version of Apache, and noticed
that several of the files are mode 400. This makes them sort of hard to
read. These seem to be the new files added in Apache 1.1b0, mod_proxy.c,
mod_cern_meta.c, the new icons, and so forth. Unless I'm quite mistaken,
shouldn't these be made mode 444?

As I'm sure Ben didn't do this on purpose, perhaps something's
misconfigured somewhere. At any rate, can this be fixed?

--// Alexei Kosut // <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> // Lefler on IRC --//
-----------------// <http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut> -------//
"To get the full effect of Pat Buchanan's speeches, they should be
read in the original German." //--------------------------------------

Re: CVS stuff

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@hotwired.com>.
In article <Pi...@ace.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> you write:
>I just tried to update my copy of the CVS version of Apache, and noticed
>that several of the files are mode 400. This makes them sort of hard to
>read. These seem to be the new files added in Apache 1.1b0, mod_proxy.c,
>mod_cern_meta.c, the new icons, and so forth. Unless I'm quite mistaken,
>shouldn't these be made mode 444?

An easy way to deal with this is to do this:

    cd /usr/local/bin
    mv cvs{,.real}
    cat >cvs
    #!/bin/sh
    umask 2
    exec /usr/local/bin/cvs.real ${1+"$@"}
    ^D
    chmod 555 cvs

That forces cvs to use a specific umask and not be at the whims of the
people using it.

Oh wait, I think CVS 1.7 has this feature built in somewhere.  Anyhow I've
just used the above in the past.

Dean