Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Duncan Godwin <du...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2017/01/19 15:17:44 UTC

Default VM Image

Hi All,

Should we change the default image to CentOS 7 over Ubuntu 14.04?

Apache Brooklyn, by default currently favours Ubuntu 14.04 and 12.04 LTS
images when no preference is selected. This is because of the code in
BrooklynImageChooser here:

https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/blob/f4281af2e40a9d12264c566a4b65fa6549238be5/locations/jclouds/src/main/java/org/apache/brooklyn/location/jclouds/BrooklynImageChooser.java#L138-L149

Most of the blueprints in brooklyn-library seem to favour CentOS 7 and I
think most of the Apache Brooklyn users are using and testing CentOS 7. It
therefore seems to me to make sense to alter BrooklynImageChooser score to
favour CentOS 7 based images. What does everyone think?

Many thanks

Duncan

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Guglielmo Nigri <gu...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Agree with Mark McKenna's proposal to make it configurable.

No strong opinion on what the default value should be, though. Maybe Ubuntu
14.04, for compatibility with blueprints that assume Ubuntu. Any examples
of those in the wild?

Guglielmo Nigri
Senior Engineer @ Cloudsoft Corporation

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Duncan Grant <du...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
All,

I've create a PR to make this change
https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/544

Could someone please review it.

thanks

Duncan

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Mark Mc Kenna <m4...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Duncan Godwin <du...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Richard

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Duncan,

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Geoff Macartney <ge...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Makes sense I guess; there have been some issues with Ubuntu 16.04 (at
least with Vagrant) so Centos as default might be better than Ubuntu 16?

Re: Default VM Image

Posted by Aleksandr Vasilev <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.