Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stipe Tolj <to...@uni-duesseldorf.de> on 1999/05/19 00:07:45 UTC

[Fwd: [RFC] apache-cygwin licensing conflicts]

Hello Apache developers,

this is what Chris Faylor from Cygnus wrote for the licensing conflicts on a
possible cygwin based Apache binary distribution:

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 11:38:40PM +0200, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> >this is a request for comments on the issue of integrating our apache
> >port to the official Apache Group distribution. I'm currently dealing
> >with the guys from apache.org to add our cygwin patch to their
> >distribution.
> >
> >At least adding the patch to the source distribution would not violate
> >any of both -- cygwin nor apache -- licensing agreements since the
> >cygwin license only applies for binaries, is that right?
> >
> >Unfortunatly any binary distrbution would ether violate the cygwin or
> >apache license, since both _would_ apply to the binary.
> >
> >Someone of you "officials" at Cygnus has stated that Cygnus may grand
> >flexible privilidges at least for special purposes or occations for the
> >cygwin library license. Since apache is an huge and accepted project and
> >we would allow Win32 based users to use a posix complatible apache
> >version beside the commercial Win32 native MSVC version this would be a
> >great opportunity.
> >
> >May it be possible -- regarding Cygnus officials side -- to grand a more
> >flexible and compatible licensing term to be able to fully support the
> >cygwin platform within the apache official distrbution?
>
> Here's a copy of the CYGWIN_LICENSE that will be showing up in B21.
> Hopefully, it answers your questions.
>
> I don't know if you are planning on distributing a cygwin DLL.  If you
> are then the GPL applies.  You must supply or be willing to supply
> the version of the sources that were used to build the cygwin DLL you
> are distributing.
>
> cgf

this means "green light" for a cygwin based Apache distrbution as long as no
only cygwin specific code, i.e. the cygwin.dll is distrbuted.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <to...@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany