Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by Gustavo Enrique Salazar Torres <gs...@ime.usp.br> on 2012/12/11 14:58:01 UTC

Breadth-first search

Hi:

I implemented a graph algorithm to recommend content to our users. Although
it is working (implementation uses Mahout) it very inefficient because I
have to run many iterations in order to perform a breadth-first search on
my graph.
I would like to use Giraph for that task. I would like to know if it is
production ready. I'm running jobs on Amazon EMR.

Thanks in advance.
Gustavo

Re: Breadth-first search

Posted by Jan van der Lugt <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gustavo,

If your graph fits in memory, you might be interested Green-Marl, a
language tailored for graph processing:
https://github.com/stanford-ppl/Green-Marl
You can compile your Green-Marl program to an extremely fast C++ program,
but also to Giraph program when your graph does not fit in memory anymore.

- Jan

Re: Breadth-first search

Posted by Gustavo Enrique Salazar Torres <gs...@ime.usp.br>.
Hi Avery:

Re: Breadth-first search

Posted by Alexandros Daglis <al...@epfl.ch>.
Dear Avery,

Regarding this decision about resource allocation, do you have a
methodology or a rule of thumb that helps you decide which setting is
expected to perform well?
For example, with a given input (number of graph vertices), can you
estimate what number of workers and how much memory per worker would be
optimal? Or the other way around: given a pool of resources (cores &
memory), what's a reasonable graph size?

That insight would be really interesting.

Thanks,
Alexandros

Re: Breadth-first search

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.