Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Henri Delebecque <He...@supelec.fr> on 2001/03/05 15:18:09 UTC

problem with installation

hello,

I'm sure that's trivial, but I'm a newbie in using mod_perl.
I have read the FAQ, which tells that I should read the documentation.
I have read the http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html page,
and the "A Summary of a Basic mod_perl installation" section.

when I execute the following command:
perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=/webmaster/apache/src \
DO_HTTPD=1 EVERYTHING=1 USE_APACI=1 \
APACHE_PREFIX=/webmaster/apache/httpd.perl,

the perl script runs well, but when I try to make httpd, I
encounter the following error message:

"entering /webmaster/apache/src"
"no rule to make target 'all'. Stop"

My server is a Digital/Unix, under Digital Unix 4

any hint ?
thanks alot

| Henri Delebecque                        delebecq@supelec.fr |
| Webmaster                                                   |
| Supelec                          Tel (33)  01.69.85.14.91   |
| 3 rue Joliot-Curie                                          |
| Plateau de Moulon                 Fax:(33) 01.69.85.12.34   |
| 91190 Gif sur Yvette                                        |
| FRANCE                                                      |

Re: problem with installation

Posted by Peter Brown <re...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Henri Delebecque writes:
 > hello,
 >
 > I'm sure that's trivial, but I'm a newbie in using mod_perl.
 > I have read the FAQ, which tells that I should read the documentation.
 > I have read the http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html page,
 > and the "A Summary of a Basic mod_perl installation" section.
 >
 > when I execute the following command:
 > perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=/webmaster/apache/src \
 > DO_HTTPD=1 EVERYTHING=1 USE_APACI=1 \
 > APACHE_PREFIX=/webmaster/apache/httpd.perl,
 >
 > the perl script runs well, but when I try to make httpd, I
 > encounter the following error message:
 >
 > "entering /webmaster/apache/src"
 > "no rule to make target 'all'. Stop"

this would suggest to me that there is something wrong with the
Makefile in that directory or a Makefile doesnt exist there

the APACHE_SRC directive should point to the src subdirectory of the
apache source you are compiling mod_perl with

Posted by Peter Brown <re...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Henri Delebecque writes:

Henri
for future please make sure you reply to the modperl@apache.org list
as well

then others can see the entire conversation

it seems i was wrong in telling you what i said
as evidenced be stas's reply to your post

i was unaware of the problem he described (thanks stas)
please refer to his reply
thanks

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Henri Delebecque wrote:

> hello,
>
> I'm sure that's trivial, but I'm a newbie in using mod_perl.
> I have read the FAQ, which tells that I should read the documentation.
> I have read the http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html page,
> and the "A Summary of a Basic mod_perl installation" section.
>
> when I execute the following command:
> perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=/webmaster/apache/src \
> DO_HTTPD=1 EVERYTHING=1 USE_APACI=1 \
> APACHE_PREFIX=/webmaster/apache/httpd.perl,
>
> the perl script runs well, but when I try to make httpd, I
> encounter the following error message:
>
> "entering /webmaster/apache/src"
> "no rule to make target 'all'. Stop"
>
> My server is a Digital/Unix, under Digital Unix 4
>
> any hint ?
> thanks alot

Hmm, may be it has something to do with Digital, but if not, make sure
that /webmaster/apache actually includes the apache sources. I'll repeat
the steps here:

  % cd /usr/src
  % lwp-download http://www.apache.org/dist/apache_x.x.x.tar.gz
  % lwp-download http://perl.apache.org/dist/mod_perl-x.xx.tar.gz
  % tar xzvf apache_x.x.x.tar.gz
  % tar xzvf mod_perl-x.xx.tar.gz
  % cd mod_perl-x.xx
  % perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache_x.x.x/src \
    DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1
  % make && make test && make install
  % cd ../apache_x.x.x
  % make install

replace x.x.x and x.xx with the versions that you use.

if that doesn't help what do you see if you go to apache_x.x.x/src and
type:

  % ./configure
  % make

?