Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com> on 2011/06/16 19:19:13 UTC

How release a module of a multi modules project while in the incubator?

Hi mentors, hi all,
how the release process works with a multi module project?

Jena is currently composed by different and separate (although
interdependent) modules: ARQ, Eyeball, Fuseki, IRI, Joseki, LARQ,
SDB, TDB and jena. These modules have different version numbers
and different life cycles.

Let's say, just to make an example, I would like to make a release
of the LARQ module. Do I need to start an VOTE? I guess so.

But, do we need a separate VOTE process for each module or we need
to synchronize and release all the modules together with a single
VOTE process?

How other Apache projects address this situation?
Do you have a good example I can learn from?

Thank you,
Paolo

Re: How release a module of a multi modules project while in the incubator?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Paolo Castagna
<ca...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Benson
>
> Benson Margulies wrote:
>> You can't release something with snapshot deps, and that pom Ross just
>> poked me about has snapshot depts to arq and tdb.
>
> Yep. At release time, I'll remove any SNAPSHOT dependency.
>
> The maven-release-plugin explicitly forbids you to release an artifact with
> SNAPSHOT dependencies, which is good to avoid human errors.
>

>> If you fix that, sure, by all means, run a release to run this process.
>>
>> If you do run a release of just LARQ, you'll need a dist package.
>> Typically, made with the maven-assembly-plugin.
>
> Is it possible to avoid publishing dist packages for a small Jena module
> such as LARQ and use the Jena distribution (which will include all modules)
> for this?

Absolutely. Inside the Maven project, 90% of the releases are 'maven
only' releases of plugins. The only thing that gets released to dist
is maven itself.

It would make sense to me for you-all to release the individual
modules that way, facilitating focussed bug-fixing releases, but it's
for you to decide that.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Benson

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.