Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon <ca...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/16 04:59:14 UTC

[NEWBIE] Using source code

I would like to do some practicals on using say:

public interface Lifecycle {
public static final String INIT_EVENT = "init";
public static final String START_EVENT = "start";
public static final String BEFORE_START_EVENT = "before_start";
public static final String AFTER_START_EVENT = "after_start";
public static final String STOP_EVENT = "stop";
public static final String BEFORE_STOP_EVENT = "before_stop";
public static final String AFTER_STOP_EVENT = "after_stop";
public static final String DESTROY_EVENT = "destroy";
public static final String PERIODIC_EVENT = "periodic";
public void addLifecycleListener(LifecycleListener listener);
public LifecycleListener[] findLifecycleListeners();
public void removeLifecycleListener(LifecycleListener listener);
public void start() throws LifecycleException;
public void stop() throws LifecycleException;
}

Any tutorials on getting the Tomcat objects and using them?  That is some
developer's guide starting from scratch...

--
Jon Camilleri

Mobile (MT): 00356 7982 7113
E-mail: camilleri.jon@gmail.com
e-mail.

I usually reply to e-mails within 2 business days. If it's urgent, give me a
call.

Re: [NEWBIE] Using source code

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Jon wrote:
> I would like to do some practicals on using say:
>
> public interface Lifecycle {
> public static final String INIT_EVENT = "init";
> public static final String START_EVENT = "start";
> public static final String BEFORE_START_EVENT = "before_start";
> public static final String AFTER_START_EVENT = "after_start";
> public static final String STOP_EVENT = "stop";
> public static final String BEFORE_STOP_EVENT = "before_stop";
> public static final String AFTER_STOP_EVENT = "after_stop";
> public static final String DESTROY_EVENT = "destroy";
> public static final String PERIODIC_EVENT = "periodic";
> public void addLifecycleListener(LifecycleListener listener);
> public LifecycleListener[] findLifecycleListeners();
> public void removeLifecycleListener(LifecycleListener listener);
> public void start() throws LifecycleException;
> public void stop() throws LifecycleException;
> }
>
> Any tutorials on getting the Tomcat objects and using them?  That is some
> developer's guide starting from scratch...

I am not aware of any such guide.

Mark

Re: [NEWBIE] Using source code

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
>I would like to do some practicals on using say:
>
> public interface Lifecycle {
> public static final String INIT_EVENT = "init";
> public static final String START_EVENT = "start";
> public static final String BEFORE_START_EVENT = "before_start";
> public static final String AFTER_START_EVENT = "after_start";
> public static final String STOP_EVENT = "stop";
> public static final String BEFORE_STOP_EVENT = "before_stop";
> public static final String AFTER_STOP_EVENT = "after_stop";
> public static final String DESTROY_EVENT = "destroy";
> public static final String PERIODIC_EVENT = "periodic";
> public void addLifecycleListener(LifecycleListener listener);
> public LifecycleListener[] findLifecycleListeners();
> public void removeLifecycleListener(LifecycleListener listener);
> public void start() throws LifecycleException;
> public void stop() throws LifecycleException;
> }
>
> Any tutorials on getting the Tomcat objects and using them?  That is some
> developer's guide starting from scratch...
>
> --
> Jon Camilleri

Jon, you dont use Tomcat as a normal Java Lib.... which is how I think you
seeing it.
Your application will actually become acomponent in Tomcat, not the other
way around.
I guess you could approach it from ant and a vi editor, but probably the
easiest way to get into TC is through an IDE, like Netbeans or Eclipse.
To start, I would even bother building it, just use a binary and get a feel
for the engine.
Its one hell of a beast at code level, but from an IDE like NB, it is very
easy to use...
Stick with it for a little while... TC is an awesome technology
... lots to learn though ;)

Once you get into it... we are quite friendly ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.