Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by JoshInWV <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/14 22:35:02 UTC

Help on tomcat configuration

I am in the process of writing some web based software.  Tomcat is my server
I chose for the back end nuts and bolts because the software is written in
Java / JSP.  I have an OReilly book on tomcat, but it really lacks on realm
configuration and when talking about j_security_check (but of course so does
servlet spec 2.3)

In a nutshell we designed a program to be installed on a stand alone PC or
network.  We finished it and turned it over.  They came back to us and said,
well due to our fear of piracy, we now want to put it on a web server and
sell the service :-/.  So now the scope of the project shifted by some, but
what we have will run, just needs slightly modified.

Most of what I need to have happen is at the server level.  What do I need
to do to have one instance of tomcat running and have multiple copies of the
software running throughout the one server?  I know this gets into a realms
configuration issue, but I am not strong on that.

I thought about doing sub-domains with a dedicated instance under each
domain, however, I think that's terribly wasteful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Josh

I have a few questions if you all can make some time for me to answer them,
I would be most grateful!

Re: Help on tomcat configuration

Posted by JoshInWV <jo...@gmail.com>.
Actually I am using 6.0.18 as the tomcat version.  I'll look up servlet spec
2.5

I've decided to deploy the application on the subdomains and use the main
.com as a signup for the service.

Thank you very much Chris, I really appreciate it!

Also as far as a book goes, what would you suggest?  I have O'Reilly's
Tomcat book, but I am less than impressed with it.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by venkatesh kumar <ss...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:05 AM, JoshInWV <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am in the process of writing some web based software.  Tomcat is my
> server
> I chose for the back end nuts and bolts because the software is written in
> Java / JSP.  I have an OReilly book on tomcat, but it really lacks on realm
> configuration and when talking about j_security_check (but of course so
> does
> servlet spec 2.3)
>
> In a nutshell we designed a program to be installed on a stand alone PC or
> network.  We finished it and turned it over.  They came back to us and
> said,
> well due to our fear of piracy, we now want to put it on a web server and
> sell the service :-/.  So now the scope of the project shifted by some, but
> what we have will run, just needs slightly modified.
>
> Most of what I need to have happen is at the server level.  What do I need
> to do to have one instance of tomcat running and have multiple copies of
> the
> software running throughout the one server?  I know this gets into a realms
> configuration issue, but I am not strong on that.
>
> I thought about doing sub-domains with a dedicated instance under each
> domain, however, I think that's terribly wasteful.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> - Josh
>
> I have a few questions if you all can make some time for me to answer them,
> I would be most grateful!

s.venkatesh kumar