Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Conny Kühne <co...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/01 11:45:30 UTC

Endless Redirect with tracking-mode COOKIE and Cookies Disabled in Browser

Hi,

when I select  <tracking-mode>COOKIE</tracking-mode> in the web.xml and
disable cookies in the browser, I run into endless redirects for buffered
wicket-examples project.

Not sure, whether this is a bug. After all, how should wicket know that the
browser has disabled cookies. Maybe there should be a warning message during
startup of the wicket app that the tracking-mode COOKIES could lead to
endless redirects for stateful pages.

Best,
Conny

--
Sent from: http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Users-forum-f1842947.html

Re: Endless Redirect with tracking-mode COOKIE and Cookies Disabled in Browser

Posted by Conny Kühne <co...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that is all understood. However, since Servlet 3.0 you can switch-off
url rewriting for session ids using the tracking mode setting. And redirect
to buffer is the default wicket strategy. It might not be clear to most
wicket users that these two features together can lead to the endless
redirect problem when the users turns off cookies. So maybe displaying a
warning during start-up, or even using javascript to detect that cookies are
disabled and react accordingly, might help here.

Just my two cents.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Technically, this is not managed by Wicket.
It is the web container (like Tomcat, Jetty, ...) that deals with these
matters.
Wicket just tries to bind a HttpSession and cannot find it after the
redirect.
There could be many reasons for this. The most common one is that the
session has just expired...

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov