Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by patektek <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/24 23:32:55 UTC

Debugging in Hadoop

Hello list, I am trying to add some functionality to Hadoop-core and I am
having serious issues
debugging it. I have searched in the list archive and still have not been
able to resolve the issues.

Simple question:
If I want to insert "LOG.INFO()" statements in Hadoop code is not that as
simple as  modifying
log4j.properties file to include the class which has the statements. For
example, if I want to
print out the LOG.info("I am here!") statements in MapTask. class
I would add to the lo4j.properites file the following line:

# Custom Logging levels
.
.
.
log4j.logger.org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask=INFO

This approach is clearly not working for me.
What am I missing?

Thank you,
patektek

Re: Debugging in Hadoop

Posted by Amareshwari Sriramadasu <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
patektek wrote:
> Hello list, I am trying to add some functionality to Hadoop-core and I am
> having serious issues
> debugging it. I have searched in the list archive and still have not been
> able to resolve the issues.
>
> Simple question:
> If I want to insert "LOG.INFO()" statements in Hadoop code is not that as
> simple as  modifying
> log4j.properties file to include the class which has the statements. For
> example, if I want to
> print out the LOG.info("I am here!") statements in MapTask. class
> I would add to the lo4j.properites file the following line:

LOG.info statements in MapTask will be shown in syslog in task logs.
The directory is ${hadoop.log.dir}/userlogs/<attemptid>.
The same can be browsed on the web ui of the task.

-Amareshwari