Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2012/03/26 19:43:52 UTC

Voting -1 on the first sign of issues (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round)

On Mar 26, 2012, at 19:34 , Sam Bisbee wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Happy voting,

> I'm having issues building the artifact on a brand new, vanilla Debian
> 6.0 install (built fine on Ubuntu 11.10). It stops with the "can't
> find jsapi headers" error. Attached is my config.log.
>
> jsapi.h lives at /usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.1/include/jsapi.h as
> expected. Configuring without any parameters doesn't work either.
>
> So until I can debug this and update the wiki with any instructions,
> I'm -1 on the release.

Hey all,

I'd like to suggest that we might want to not vote -1 on the first
sign of issues.

Of course we'd like to see any error report, but I feel it'd be nice
to wait for suggestions on how to fix this, rather than voting -1 or
voting -1 with a condition and later having to retract that.

And if it turns out to be a grave error, a -1 is very much called for.

Sorry for jumping on Sam here, but this has been done before and I
assume Sam just thinks it is standard procedure :)

It might be me, but I know that tallying votes is less confusing with
definite votes.

Please disagree with me, if you think we should continue with the
current practice :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: Voting -1 on the first sign of issues (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Also, everyone should vote, even if you've never spoken on this mailing
list before.

Every opinion is valuable, and is listened to.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
I disagree with this.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 27 March 2012 14:19, Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Actually the rules are quite clear on this issue:
>
> "However, in no case may someone's vote be considered invalid if the implied commitment doesn't appear to be met; a vote is a formal expression of opinion, not of commitment."
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob

Hi Noah, Bob,

In hindsight, you're right & I'd definitely be
disappointed if somebody decided note to
vote after reading my email.

A+
Dave

Re: Voting -1 on the first sign of issues (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, third round)

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.