Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Quinten Verheyen <q....@ringring.be> on 2004/09/02 15:44:52 UTC

usage tomcat5w ?

Hi,

we have Tomcat 5 installed and there is something that troubles me.
Some guys have modified the classpath via the tomcat5w.exe (Java tab) and put all their applications in a directory outside of tomcat. It isn't even a web root, just a root for class files.
They did this so they don't have to restart Tomcat for every class change and to put their application class files anywhere they want.

This bugs me. They just change the classpath known by Tomcat at startup (like bootstrap) but isn't this against all design logic ?

It's nice not to have to restart Tomcat (production webserver needs to run 24/24), but one can accomplish that with the admin/manager applications also (assuming it's secure enough).

Or this "not done" or is it ?

Regards,
Verheyen Quinten

Software Engineer
Rue Gabrielle Petitstraat 4/6

1080 Brussel

Tel : +0032 (0)2 502 85 00

Fax : +0032 (0)2 502 76 07
Gsm : +0032 (0)494 81 04 81

E-mail :  <ma...@ringring.be> q.verheyen@ringring.be

"The process of intelligent conduct is essentially a process of selection from among various alternatives; intelligence is largely a matter of selectivity. Delayed reaction is necessary to intelligent contact." - Mead G.H.

Re: usage tomcat5w ?

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:44:52PM +0200, Quinten Verheyen wrote:
: we have Tomcat 5 installed and there is something that troubles me.
: Some guys have modified the classpath via the tomcat5w.exe (Java tab) and put
: all their applications in a directory outside of tomcat. It isn't even a web
: root, just a root for class files.
: They did this so they don't have to restart Tomcat for every class change and
: to put their application class files anywhere they want.

Unless the context's "reloadable" attr is set to true, Tomcat won't
reload *any* classes until a context (re)start.

: This bugs me. They just change the classpath known by Tomcat at startup (like
: bootstrap) but isn't this against all design logic ?

Generally speaking, it's best for the long-term to follow the spec's and
Tomcat's guidelines for where to put things.  That simplifies upgrades
and makes it easier to determine whether a problem lies in the
container's code or yours.

That said, there are a million ways to run a shop, half of which are
"right."  Sometimes it's necessary to deviate from the norm.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com