Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Christian Peter <ch...@charlysworld.de> on 2003/01/14 09:56:48 UTC

Multiline rows

Hi,

I'm new to POI and I read the docs and the mailing archive.
But I didn't find a solution for my problem (I probably missed
something really obvious).

I need multiline cells in my Excel Sheet. Therefore I
used the

cellStyle.setWrapText( true );

method to make it multiline. I thought I could control
where the new line begins (\n). But my Excel 2000 does not
only break the line when a \n is in the string, it also
breaks when the text reaches the cell border.

It looks like

 ----------------
|First line is   |
|veeeeeery long  |
|Second line     |
 ----------------

but I need

 ----------------
|First line is ve|
|Second line     |
 ----------------

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

--
Christian Peter <ch...@charlysworld.de>

Re: Multiline rows

Posted by Christian Peter <ch...@charlysworld.de>.
Hi,

according to

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hssf/quick-guide.html#NewLinesInCells

one should set setWrapText(true) for using newlines. No one mentions
writing multiple lines without setWrapText(true). I tried it without
setWrapText(true) but it never worked. OpenOffice works but not Excel.

Re: Multiline rows

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@apache.org>.