Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2015/03/05 19:35:04 UTC

Suggestions User Information about Maven 2.2.1 EoL / Plugins / JDK

Hi,

here is my suggestions for the user list announcement regarding Maven
2.2.1 EoL / Plugins version lift / JDK etc.

Any enhancement / things which should also be mentioned please reply and
make appropriate changes / Thinks which i have missed...

Dear Maven Users,

based on the End of Life of Maven 2.2.1 (a year ago) now the time has
come to make the final releases of Apache Maven Plugins which support
Maven 2.X.

We have documented the final releases of plugins which support Maven
2.2.1 in relationship with JDK 1.5

The complete list can be found here:

http://maven.apache.org/maven-2.x-eol.html

The next step on our roadmap is to lift all plugin versions to 3.X to
make clear those plugins will only work with Maven 3.0+ furthermore the
Java minimum requirement will lifted to JDK 1.6 as well.

No "rule" without exceptions. Here they come:

  * maven-site-plugin (Version 3.4)
    See the docs of the plugin for usage in Maven 2.X

  * maven-compiler-plugin (Version 3.2)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1.

  * maven-plugin-plugin (Version 3.4)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1

  * maven-pmd-plugin (Version 3.4)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1 but needs JDK 1.6

The following plugins already have the Maven 3.0+ requirement:

* maven-scm-publish-plugin (Version 1.1)
* maven-shade-plugin (Version 2.3)

So to make things more clearer here is an example:

Currently we have the maven-clean-plugin with version 2.6.1.

This plugin supports Maven 2.2.1 and JDK 1.5 minimum.

This plugin will get a new major release with version 3.0 which has the
Maven minimum 3.0 AND Jave minimum 1.6.

Kind regards
The Apache Maven Team

Re: [VOTE] Suggestions User Information about Maven 2.2.1 EoL / Plugins / JDK

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I think we should do something with
http://people.apache.org/~hboutemy/Maven%20Versions.png
But IMHO it is a bit confusing by mixing Maven versus Maven Plugins and
Maven versus JDK

Instead I'd like to see just a table where a user can choose its preferred
Maven version based on the Java Runtime Environment (which I consider a
constant, whereas the choice for the version of Maven is a variable)

So
  Java 1.4 | Maven 2.1.0 and earlier
  Java 5   | Maven 3.1.1 and earlier
  Java 6   | Maven 3.2.5 and earlier

Probably this info should be on the http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi
but somewhere easier to recognize. Now it is a compact oneliner and its
focus is on the Maven version:
bq. Maven 3.2 requires JDK 1.6 or above, while Maven 3.0/3.1 requires JDK
1.5 or above (this is to execute Maven - it still allows you to build
against 1.3 and prior JDK's: see our Guide to Using Toolchains)

Robert

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I like this, and the comments from Hervé an Robert.

Here is another suggestion. We could start using 3-digit version numbers
for all M3-only plugins. I.e. start with 3.0.0 for most of them, except
for those on the exceptions list.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

would like someone to add/change/enhancements or something to this....

i would suggest to wait the usual 72 hours and if no one will say -1  i
would prepare to send out this to users list, announcement
list...twitter...google plus etc. (any supplemtal channels are welcome)...

I would like to send this out on Thursday 19. march 2015...so we have a
little bit more time...to give others during the week time to take a
look on it as well...

> Dear Apache Maven Users,
>
> Based on the End of Life of Maven 2.2.1 (a year ago), now the time has
> come to make the final releases of Apache Maven Plugins which support
> Maven 2.X: next releases will have Maven 3 as prerequisite.
>
> We have documented the final releases of plugins which support Maven
> 2.2.1 and Java 5: the complete list can be found here:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven-2.x-eol.html
>
> The next step on our roadmap is to lift all plugin versions to 3.X in general
> to make clear those plugins will only work with Maven 3.0+. Furthermore the
> Java minimum requirement will be lifted to Java 6 as well.
>
> No "rule" without exceptions. Here they come:
>

>    * maven-site-plugin: version 3.4 works with Maven 2.X
>      Version 3.5 will require Maven 3
>
>    * maven-compiler-plugin: version 3.2 works with Maven 2.X
>      Version 3.5 will require Maven 3
>
>    * maven-plugin-plugin: version 3.4 works with Maven 2.X
>      Version 3.5 will require Maven 3
>
>    * maven-pmd-plugin: version 3.4  works with Maven 2.X but already requires
>     Java 6
>      Version 3.5 will require Maven 3
>

> The following plugins already have the Maven 3.0+ requirement without
> following 3.X version pattern:
>
> * maven-scm-publish-plugin: version 1.1 requires Maven 3, last version
> compatible with Maven 2.x is version 1.0-beta-2
>
> * maven-shade-plugin: version 2.3 requires Maven 3, last version compatible
> with Maven 2.x is version 1.7.1
>

> So to make things more clear, here is an example:
>
> Currently, we have the maven-clean-plugin with version 2.6.1.
>
> This plugin supports Maven 2.2.1 and Java 5 minimum.
>
> This plugin will get a new major release with version 3.0 which has Maven 3.0
> AND Java 6 prerequisites.
>

> Kind regards
> The Apache Maven Team

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Suggestions User Information about Maven 2.2.1 EoL / Plugins / JDK

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Hi,

I tried improvements on http://maven.staging.apache.org/maven-2.x-eol.html

And here are some small updates proposed to the announcement: the newest idea
is that plugins already at 3.x will switch to Maven 3 prerequisite for
plugin's version 3.5 (see compiler which should go from 3.2 to 3.5 to follow
the pattern)

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le vendredi 20 mars 2015 13:32:36 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> It looks good to me
+1

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
It looks good to me

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> nothing more to improve ?
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> On 3/18/15 10:21 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i have incorporated the suggestions/ideas/improvements....
>>
>> https://github.com/khmarbaise/maven2eol/blob/master/message.txt
>>

>> If you have adds/supplementals/etc. please send a pull request or you
>> can create an issue...
>>

>> The list of Maven versions / JDK requirements should be listed on the
>> download page...IMHO...
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>>

>> On 3/5/15 7:35 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> here is my suggestions for the user list announcement regarding Maven
>>> 2.2.1 EoL / Plugins version lift / JDK etc.
>>>
>>> Any enhancement / things which should also be mentioned please reply and
>>> make appropriate changes / Thinks which i have missed...

>>> Dear Maven Users,
>>>
>>> based on the End of Life of Maven 2.2.1 (a year ago) now the time has
>>> come to make the final releases of Apache Maven Plugins which support
>>> Maven 2.X.
>>>
>>> We have documented the final releases of plugins which support Maven
>>> 2.2.1 in relationship with JDK 1.5
>>>
>>> The complete list can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://maven.apache.org/maven-2.x-eol.html
>>>
>>> The next step on our roadmap is to lift all plugin versions to 3.X to
>>> make clear those plugins will only work with Maven 3.0+ furthermore the
>>> Java minimum requirement will lifted to JDK 1.6 as well.
>>>
>>> No "rule" without exceptions. Here they come:
>>>

>>>   * maven-site-plugin (Version 3.4)
>>>     See the docs of the plugin for usage in Maven 2.X
>>>
>>>   * maven-compiler-plugin (Version 3.2)
>>>     which works with Maven 2.2.1.
>>>
>>>   * maven-plugin-plugin (Version 3.4)
>>>     which works with Maven 2.2.1
>>>
>>>   * maven-pmd-plugin (Version 3.4)
>>>     which works with Maven 2.2.1 but needs JDK 1.6
>>>

>>> The following plugins already have the Maven 3.0+ requirement:
>>>
>>> * maven-scm-publish-plugin (Version 1.1)
>>> * maven-shade-plugin (Version 2.3)
>>>

>>> So to make things more clearer here is an example:
>>>
>>> Currently we have the maven-clean-plugin with version 2.6.1.
>>>
>>> This plugin supports Maven 2.2.1 and JDK 1.5 minimum.
>>>
>>> This plugin will get a new major release with version 3.0 which has the
>>> Maven minimum 3.0 AND Jave minimum 1.6.
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>> The Apache Maven Team

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Suggestions User Information about Maven 2.2.1 EoL / Plugins / JDK

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,