Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Cole Greer <Co...@improving.com.INVALID> on 2022/12/21 01:58:21 UTC

RE: Re: gremlin-go license/notice

Hi all,

I wanted to briefly revive this old thread as I believe it may warrant reconsideration. I was digging through the gremlin go module as downloaded through “go get” it does include the root LICENSE file from the tinkerpop repo as mentioned earlier. It does not however fetch any NOTICE file from the root tinkerpop repo. As far as I understand there are no legal issues with this setup as gremlin go doesn’t actually bundle any of it’s dependencies in any distribution, so no notice or updated license would be required. However I’m not sure that this is the optimal setup either. The root level LICENSE file in Tinkerpop has the following appended to it due to source files which are included for the tinkerpop site:

MIT Licenses

The Apache TinkerPop project bundles the following components under the MIT License:

bootstrap 5.0.0 (http://getbootstrap.com/) - for details, see license/bootstrap

jquery 1.11.0 (https://jquery.com/) - for details, see license/jquery

normalize.css 2.1.2 (http://necolas.github.io/normalize.css/) - for details, see licenses/normalize
prism.css/js 1.27.0 (http://prismjs.com) - for details, see licenses/prism

This suffix is also being included in the LICENSE file in gremlin go which seems unnecessary or incorrect. Also while a NOTICE file does not seem required, all of the other GLVs do include a NOTICE such that Tinkerpop will be included in the notice of any works which utilize it. For consistency I believe that gremlin go should also include such a NOTICE file.

Example NOTICE:
Apache TinkerPop
Copyright 2015-2021 The Apache Software Foundation.

If there is no further discussion on this thread I will assume a lazy consensus favoring the status quo and no changes will be made.

Regards,

Cole Greer

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for bringing this up. I believe that we had thought the entire
TinkerPop repository would be downloaded with gremlin-go from the package
manager, despite Go only caring about gremlin-go. I think we later realized
there was a way to avoid that:

$ ls ~/go/pkg/mod/github.com/apache/tinkerpop/gremlin-go/v3@v3.6.1
build  design.md  docker  docker-compose.yml  Dockerfile  driver  go.mod
 go.sum  LICENSE  pom.xml  README.md  run.sh  wait-for-server.sh

But we never adjusted LICENSE/NOTICE. Since "go get" only seems to pull the
gremlin-go directory I think it now makes sense to treat gremlin-go as the
other language variants by giving it its own LICENSE/NOTICE files. These
should be the standard Apache 2 LICENSE and standard NOTICE without any
additions.