Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by craigg <cr...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/13 23:29:50 UTC

AWT Previewer external remote jpg file no rendering

Hiya,

Having trouble with external graphics which are jpg's being rendered with
the AWT Previewer. Using exactly the same xsl pointing to an equivilent
gif/bmp seems to render fine. The strange thing is that looking at the
preview window with Debug on, you can see it has gathered the image size
(the block around it isn't the default size), so it has found the file, and
attempted to render it atleast.

<fo:external-graphic src="url(http://localhost:80/project/images/cook3.jpg)"
text-align="center" display-align="center"/>

Using FOP (embedded) in another app to produce pdf output seems to work
fine! although using the PNG/TIFF output mimics the previewer by not
displaying the images, but having blank space of their exact size (i believe
the site says that PNG/TIFF output is derrived from the same rendering code
as the previewer).

Everything compiled under jdk 1.5

Anyone ever had this problem before?

Running the viewer from a debugging ide doesn't show Any warnings/errors
about difficulties getting/rendering the image.

Any help is apprechiated :)

Craig

Re: AWT Previewer external remote jpg file no rendering

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Well, when you output PDF a different renderer is used than when you
display the file in the AWT previewer or if you render PNG/TIFF. So,
differences are generally possible though not necessarily expected.

In my tests with FOP 0.93, JPEG images do appear with the Java2D
renderer subclasses (AWT preview, PNG, TIFF). Unfortunately, I keep
repeating myself by saying that the image library is in serious need of
an overhaul. When we finally get to that it'll get better.

The reason for your seeing the space reserved for the image is easily
explained: FOP inspects the images for their natural size in order to do
the layout but without actually fully loading the image already. Only
when the document is rendered will the image be fully loaded depending
on the capabilities of the renderer. In your case, it seems that for
some reason the Java2DRenderer could not get the JPEG decoded. Too bad
we don't have any logging info in place to see which image library was
used.

Sorry, no helpful suggestion from me at the moment. You can try
debugging Java2DRenderer.drawImage() to get an idea what's going wrong.

On 13.02.2007 23:29:50 craigg wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Having trouble with external graphics which are jpg's being rendered with
> the AWT Previewer. Using exactly the same xsl pointing to an equivilent
> gif/bmp seems to render fine. The strange thing is that looking at the
> preview window with Debug on, you can see it has gathered the image size
> (the block around it isn't the default size), so it has found the file, and
> attempted to render it atleast.
>
> <fo:external-graphic src="url(http://localhost:80/project/images/cook3.jpg)"
> text-align="center" display-align="center"/>
>
> Using FOP (embedded) in another app to produce pdf output seems to work
> fine! although using the PNG/TIFF output mimics the previewer by not
> displaying the images, but having blank space of their exact size (i believe
> the site says that PNG/TIFF output is derrived from the same rendering code
> as the previewer).
>

> Everything compiled under jdk 1.5
>
> Anyone ever had this problem before?
>
> Running the viewer from a debugging ide doesn't show Any warnings/errors
> about difficulties getting/rendering the image.
>
> Any help is apprechiated :)
>
> Craig

Jeremias Maerki