Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/29 23:41:45 UTC

mx DataGrid / mx AdvancedDataGrid - if you use them in MXRoyale... please read this and reply

I checked with Alex recently on status for mx DataGrid and understood it
needed work. I need mx DataGrid for a low level dependency in some client
work, so I have worked on that.
I know mx ADG is in a working state, so my goal was to get mx DataGrid into
a similar state that allows for initial use, and for subsequent improvement.

In doing so I have also addressed a couple of bugs I saw in ADG:
1. clicking on the sort headers caused selection behaviour in list area
2.sortable="false" was not being respected from DataGridColumns (did not
disable sort for that header button)

I need a definitive preference/answer for whether it is ok for me to push
my changes to develop or if current ADG users want these to go to a branch
for now. This could be from Alina (or Alex on her behalf) or anyone else
who is currently using mx ADG. More information follows... if I hear
nothing by this time tomorrow I will assume a single commit to develop with
the changes will be ok (see explanation below, about how this minimises
potential risk to others)

Details:
I don't know how many others are using ADG (I know Alina is for sure). As
part of the work on mx DataGrid I did refactor some things from ADG down to
lower level classes, leveraging as much as I could of what Alex had already
done, to permit shared use of lower level code in some cases between the
two DataGrid classes. Mostly this mirrored the original Flex code, but
in some cases it was more Royale-like for the 'under-the-hood' support in
things like layout, for example.
So I want to check how I should migrate these changes into develop because
I have made some changes to ADG itself. If others currently using ADG
prefer, I can add it to a branch for now, but I do need commitment that you
will check that branch so I can merge into develop in a short timeframe.
Or, more practically I think, I can make this as a single commit into
develop that is easily reverted if there are any issues that arise in ADG
as a result (I don't expect any - it should be fine, but I don't want to
cause problems if there is anything that does arise from this change - if
anything *that currently works* in ADG stops working after this change, I
will address it)

Other things:
For mx DataGrid I used non-virtualized list layout for now. I could see
some issues in ADG with fast mouse wheel scrolling glitching sometimes with
the virtualized renderers (so far only on Chromium browsers I think). I did
not want to deal with for now, so mx DataGrid is initially
'non-virtualized' and I can come back to this and add virtualized renderer
support at some later point.
I made mx.controls.Image work as a drop-in itemRenderer. This probably
needs review, because I had to change its implementation to be more nested
in terms of native element representation. Perhaps that is not necessary,
but it does permit something closer to the original for layout (it is still
not 100% correct for drop-in itemrenderer). This change in Image is not
tied to the other changes in the DataGrid classes, it was just an attempt
to get something working better for 'drop-in' ItemRenderers (e.g.
itemRenderer="mx.controls.Image" in this case). So it could be handled as
separate (either fix any issues or revert).

You can see the current state of this here (the blue rectangles on the
right are just mx:Image instances, testing some layout behavior after
changes to that component to match Flex originals):

Flex original (reference implementation):
http://interactionscript.com/royale/mx-grids/flex-original/Main.html

Emulation:
http://interactionscript.com/royale/mx-grids/emulation/js-release/index.html

I will add this example to mxroyale examples when I push. If you want to
take a look at the source and both ant and maven builds now, you can get
that here;
http://interactionscript.com/royale/mx-grids/emulation/DataGridExample.zip

Re: mx DataGrid / mx AdvancedDataGrid - if you use them in MXRoyale... please read this and reply

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
First up I need to fix the build because I missed something... on it.

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.