Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/03/16 22:59:25 UTC

Site plugin feature of using Velocity

Hi,

Do you think people would like to use Velocity for the pages of
documentation regardless of format. I've hooked it in to try it but
there are a couple options.

1) Use Velocity to process the pages before going to the respective
doxia parser
2) Make 1) optional
3) Just interpolate the documents like we do the XML forms of model

I like the Velocity option, not sure if being on by default or not is
good. When there is a parse error I'm currently just rendering the
original document as is where you can see a warning and the full
error in debug mode. This is for 2.0 so it is a new feature but would
allow some cool stuff with.

Jason.

Re: Site plugin feature of using Velocity

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 16 Mar 07, at 8:00 PM 16 Mar 07, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On 3/16/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm leaning toward being on by default and letting people fully
>> utilize Velocity anywhere they like.
>
> If Velocity is involved, please make sure the EscapeTool is available
> so you can convince it *not* to process certain expressions.

I'm using the existing code to create the context which puts a whole
bunch of things in the context, among them the escape tool.

> This is
> a current problem in the archetype plugin.  It's a one-line addition
> there, I just haven't figured out how to test it so I haven't added
> it.
>
> Would this make it possible to easily replace the templates for, say,
> the source-repository.html or team-list.html page?

I wouldn't say replace it but you could come up with your own new
reports based on any information in the project.

Jason.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/16/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> I'm leaning toward being on by default and letting people fully
> utilize Velocity anywhere they like.

If Velocity is involved, please make sure the EscapeTool is available
so you can convince it *not* to process certain expressions.  This is

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 18 Mar 07, at 12:23 AM 18 Mar 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 18/03/2007, at 11:29 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>>> Wouldn't documents like:
>>> src/site/apt/guides/getting-started/index.apt
>>> have the ${pom.name} expressions (which are meant to be
>>> expressions) populated with the value?
>>
>> Wouldn't break them, they would render just interpolate the value.
>> So, yes, you would have to escape that value or use a literal block.
>
> Right, as far as I'm concerned that's breaking something :)

Yes, but this is 2.0 of the plugin so breaking your documents would
be a new feature :-)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/03/2007, at 9:56 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 17 Mar 07, at 6:37 PM 17 Mar 07, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> What about anything with a .vm extension?
>>
>> download.apt.vm gets processed as vm first, then apt. We can do
>> that in Doxia with zero-configuration.
>>
>> I really don't want it on by default, because it'll break existing
>> documents
>
> It won't break any existing documents. If it doesn't parse it just
> goes back to processing the raw document.

Wouldn't documents like:
src/site/apt/guides/getting-started/index.apt
have the ${pom.name} expressions (which are meant to be expressions)
populated with the value?

>> , and I can see situations where we might want to facilitate
>> different processors.
>
> Sure, I'll ponder this a bit more. I don't want it to cause any
> problems, but zero configuration. What kind of other processors are
> you thinking about?

Not that I particularly want to do it now, but this could have been a
useful way to support some of the maven1 docs that used jelly. But I

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
What about anything with a .vm extension?

download.apt.vm gets processed as vm first, then apt. We can do that
in Doxia with zero-configuration.

I really don't want it on by default, because it'll break existing
documents, and I can see situations where we might want to facilitate
different processors.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
Could this velocity pre-processor just be a plugin that gets run in the
pre-site phase - unrelated to doxia?

Eric

On 3/17/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 17 Mar 07, at 2:23 AM 17 Mar 07, Brett Porter wrote:
>
> > You've lost me, sorry. What type of page are you trying to create?
> >

> Any page, Velocity will be used to render any of the pages. It would
> just work anywhere in the site.
>
> > I can see how this makes it possible to make lightweight reports. I
> > don't see how it's useful in most documentation. I would think the
> > former would naturally be in a separate section somewhere, as
> > opposed to having to specify pages.
> >
> > I think what Emmanuel was saying was that making everything
> > velocity would mean stuff that had things that looked like
> > expressions now would end up different (you are trying to explain $
> > {project.build.directory} instead of substitute it).
>
> That's really easy to escape, and we can tell people it's a Velocity
> document and it's well documented. I think that would be easier then
> juggling pages around to be rendered as it will be the case where you
> want the literal ${project.build.directory} and interpolate some
> other project information. This is always the case with Velocity
> documents which is why there are escaping tools, #macros, and the
> actual escaping characters.
>
> Jason.
>

> > - Brett

> >> I'm not sure what you mean, not everytime. I think if you turn it
> >> on you wouldn't want to have to specify what pages you want to be
> >> interpolated. I think that would be inconvenient. And though it
> >> doesn't fully stream now it will so it will actually be faster
> >> then the current site plugin. So the performance will be higher
> >> once it streams instead of collecting the page content in memory
> >> to process it. So speed is not going to be an issue and it's not
> >> really noticeable right now.
> >>
> >> This is only for sites and would be very handy. For example would
> >> then be able to make new types of reports and share them. They
> >> just pop them into their site structure (and move toward being
> >> packaged up as reports) and they will render with their project
> >> information.
> >>
> >> I'm leaning toward being on by default and letting people fully
> >> utilize Velocity anywhere they like.
> >>
> >> Jason.

Eric Redmond
http://codehaus.org/~eredmond

Re: Site plugin feature of using Velocity

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 16 Mar 07, at 6:09 PM 16 Mar 07, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> Jason van Zyl a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> Do you think people would like to use Velocity for the pages of
>> documentation regardless of format. I've hooked it in to try it
>> but there are a couple options.
>> 1) Use Velocity to process the pages before going to the
>> respective doxia parser
>> 2) Make 1) optional
>> 3) Just interpolate the documents like we do the XML forms of model
>
> We can't interpolate every time. Sometimes, we need to interpolate $
> {project.*} and sometimes not in dox

Sorry, I don't really understand.

Not sure what you mean in that you can't interpolate everytime. The
decorator is still processed by Velocity, I mean the individual APT/
XDoc documents.

Jason.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.