Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/05 00:20:50 UTC

SystemML Notebook docker image

I started experimenting with some nice ways to enable data scientists to
get started with SystemML with the minimum setup and a pleasant user
experience.

Following the guide published in the SystemML project documentation page
[1], I created a docker image containing the necessary infrastructure for
running SystemML in a cluster mode, and also installed and configured
Zeppelin with SystemML and the sample notebook available.

Please see more detailed instructions to use it at

https://github.com/lresende/docker-systemml-notebook

If people start to find this very useful we could move this to SystemML
project itself and start making more scenarios available as sample Notebooks

[1]
http://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml/spark-mlcontext-programming-guide.html#zeppelin-notebook-example---linear-regression-algorithm

[2] https://github.com/lresende/docker-systemml-notebook

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: SystemML Notebook docker image

Posted by Sourav Mazumder <so...@gmail.com>.
Done. The JIRA is SYSTEMML-519
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-519>.

Please ensure that the structure /2BCHR4T1Q/notes.json is preserved while
adding the same to the relevant folder path /samples/zeppelin-notebooks/.

Regards,
Sourav

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Sourav,

Posted by Sourav Mazumder <so...@gmail.com>.
I tried that too. But didn't work.

Regards,
Sourav

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sourav,

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sourav,

Posted by Sourav Mazumder <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deron,

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sourav,

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sourav Mazumder <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deron,

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Sourav Mazumder <sourav.mazumder00@gmail.com

Posted by Sourav Mazumder <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deron,

I can surely share that. Can I upload it somewhere in the SystemML's site ?

My notebook covers end to end stuff involving Spark, Zeppelin, R and
SystemML. It reads two different datasets from HDFS, explore them and merge
them using Spark SQL. Then use that merged dataset for creating the model
using SystemML also using SparkR (and Spark MLLib). Then use that model to
make prediction using data from one of the datasets. It also has
visualization of the prediction using R's visualization libraries. However
for the R based visualization it requires a specific PR of Zeppelin.

If I compare ease of of use of SystemML with SparkMlLib and SparkR (however
please not that there is nothing specific to use either of these three in
Zeppelin. The same set of code can be used in scala shell/REPL also)

1. SparkR is way more simpler than both SystemML and SparkMlLib. The
modeling can be done just by making a single API call and passing the
feature sets and label (the dependent variable) very easily within that
same api call. Similarly us eof prediction API is also very straight
forward. However, SparkR right now supports only single algorithm GLM. Even
with that the flexibility to parametrize is very limited.

2. In SparkMlLib to prepare the dataset with separation of features and
label needs understanding of RDD, its map function and the LabelPoint API.
It is according to me unnecessary. Why data scientists need to know all
these ? After that calling the APIs are straight forward though it needs
knowing some of the particular classes related to the algorithm. And if
someone needs to use Cross Validator it is really complex code for the data
scientists - though doable can be learnt if someone is patient enough to go
through that process.

3. In case of SyystemML the amount of code to be written is similar to
SparkMlLib but pretty straight forward - get and put for the data to be
passed and to get the result out. But the crux of the challenge is
understanding the inputs/outputs to a DML. That is not always that easy.
Niketan from this group helped me a lot to go through that. However use of
the APIs are much simpler than SparkML Lib. But I would like them to be as
easy as in case of R. Also ability to apply Cross validation - that is a
very powerful feature.

4. In case of SystemML one thing must be addressed is ability to map the
results of prediction easily with the original dataset used for
prediction/scoring. Right now one has to create an ID first to attach with
the dataset. Then using that ID the predicted values have to be merged.
This is really cumbersome and should be ideally transparent. Both R and
SparkMLLib provides this much of support. Again Niketan and the team helped
me to understand the issue and overcome this limitation. Data Scientists
may not be patient to go through this unnecessary learning process.

Let me know if you need any details/clarifications on these points.

Regards,
Sourav

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sourav,