Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by De...@pwc.ca on 2011/02/15 22:57:30 UTC

Struts application used as a web service (large number of sessions)

Hello everybody,

I wrote a Struts application deployed on a Tomcat server that is used as a
web service. What I see is that for every request sent by the client
applications a new session is created; I guess this is because there's no
JSESSIONID cookie sent with the request. Could someone tell me if it's
terribly inefficient for the server to have to create a new session for
every request? I could reduce the session timeout to the minimum, but the
application is also used by interactive users so the session timeout needs
to have a reasonable value.

Thanks in advance.

--
D. Laroche
Pratt & Whitney Canada

---------------
Ce courriel contient des renseignements confidentiels de P&WC et le fait
de le recevoir ne constitue pas une autorisation d'en utiliser ou
divulguer le contenu. This email contains confidential information of P&WC
and its receipt does not constitute an authorization to use or disclose
its contents.
---------------

Re: Struts application used as a web service (large number of sessions)

Posted by De...@pwc.ca.
Ok thanks, your explanations were very useful. I'll do what you suggested,
i.e. not create a session for the Struts actions matching the web service
clients.

--
DL

André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>
Please respond to
Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject

Denis.Laroche@pwc.ca wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I wrote a Struts application deployed on a Tomcat server that is used as
> web service. What I see is that for every request sent by the client
> applications a new session is created; I guess this is because there's
no
> JSESSIONID cookie sent with the request. Could someone tell me if it's
> terribly inefficient for the server to have to create a new session for
> every request? I could reduce the session timeout to the minimum, but
the
> application is also used by interactive users so the session timeout
needs
> to have a reasonable value.

HttpSession (HttpRequest.)getSession() :
  Returns the current session associated with this request, or if the
request does not
have a session, creates one.

HttpSession :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/http/HttpSession.html

A session is created when there is a call to getSession().
No call to getSession(), no session.

In the big scheme of things, from the above descriptions, I would tend to
think that a
"session object" is not something trivial, so creating one when you don't
need it is
probably indeed quite inefficient.
(And then the session has to be stored somewhere, which will involve
serialization, I/O
etc..; and then some background task still has to periodically go clean up
these useless
sessions).

 From your description, it seems as if there are two types of usage of the
same application :
- a usage by real users, which does require a session
- a usage as a web service, which does not require a session
   (because these are one-off calls, probably)

I don't know Struts at all, but is it possible to distinguish the two
types of usage, and
bypass the getSession() call when the application is used as a web service
?

Otherwise, would it be possible to set up two instances of your
application ?
Such as :
/webapp1 : used by interactive users
/webapp2 : used by web service clients
and remove the getSession() call in the one used as a web service ?

Now again, inefficiency is a relative concept.
If your server is 50% idle anyway, you do not really want to spend a lot
of time bringing
it to 60% idle.

Re: Struts application used as a web service (large number of sessions)

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Denis.Laroche@pwc.ca wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I wrote a Struts application deployed on a Tomcat server that is used as a
> web service. What I see is that for every request sent by the client
> applications a new session is created; I guess this is because there's no
> JSESSIONID cookie sent with the request. Could someone tell me if it's
> terribly inefficient for the server to have to create a new session for
> every request? I could reduce the session timeout to the minimum, but the
> application is also used by interactive users so the session timeout needs
> to have a reasonable value.

HttpSession (HttpRequest.)getSession() :
  Returns the current session associated with this request, or if the request does not
have a session, creates one.

HttpSession :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/http/HttpSession.html

A session is created when there is a call to getSession().
No call to getSession(), no session.

In the big scheme of things, from the above descriptions, I would tend to think that a
"session object" is not something trivial, so creating one when you don't need it is
probably indeed quite inefficient.
(And then the session has to be stored somewhere, which will involve serialization, I/O
etc..; and then some background task still has to periodically go clean up these useless
sessions).

 From your description, it seems as if there are two types of usage of the same application :

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Denis.Laroche@pwc.ca [mailto:Denis.Laroche@pwc.ca]
> Subject: Struts application used as a web service (large number of sessions)

> I wrote a Struts application deployed on a Tomcat server
> that is used as a web service.

Exact Tomcat version?

> I guess this is because there's no JSESSIONID cookie sent
> with the request.

So your clients are violating the spec by ignoring cookies?  If so, you can set cookies="false" in the <Context> element for your webapp, _and_ always use URL rewriting for your responses.

 - Chuck