Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by David Balch <da...@continuing-education.oxford.ac.uk> on 2003/03/17 13:43:09 UTC

Creating an aggregation from a list of files

Hi,

I'm trying to get Cocoon working with IMS Content Packages[IMS-CP], to help
my development process, and could do with some help.

Short version:
Can Cocoon accept an XML file listing several other files, and make an
aggregate from the files listed? If so, how?

Long version:
A bit of background for anyone who needs it: IMS is a group developing
specifications for educational materials - content, metadata, questions &
answers, etc.

Their Content Packaging is a standard that describes how to wrap up a load
of content and metadata with a manifest file which describes the structure
and navigation to use with the content (roughly speaking).

>From the little I know of Java, I think IMSCP is quite like a .jar file - a
bunch of files with a manifest saying what's what, all rolled up in a zip.

Anyway, what I want to do is use Cocoon during development for live
transformations of our XML source files to HTML, prior to converting them
all to static HTML ready to be zipped up.

Transforming the individual content files is fairly straightforward, but
creating the navigation isn't - as the structure is defined in the IMS
manifest, but titles and descriptions are in metadata files pointed to by
the manifest.

I would like to load the manifest, XSLTransform it into a list of files,
then aggregate those files, and send that on down the pipeline for more
transfromations. Can this be done?

There are a few options involving XSLT document(), but they usually end up
hiding when files are updated, which would defeat the pupose of using Cocoon
in the first place.

Any thoughts on the problem would be appreiciated,
Dave.

[IMS-CP] http://www.imsproject.org/content/packaging/index.cfm

--
TALL, OUDCE and the University of Oxford accept no legal responsibility for
the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are only those

RE: Creating an aggregation from a list of files

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
Hi David

Note that you can use the Zip Archive Serializer to generate the entire IMS
package - you don't need to generate static files and zip them in some later
stage; it can all be done in Cocoon.

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/serializers/ziparchive-serializer.html

You can use the "jar:" protocol to read the contents of such a file, too, if
necessary.

Cheers

Con