Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Vince Clark <vc...@globalera.com> on 2007/06/06 21:51:12 UTC

Newbie question on collecting Sales Tax

I'm having trouble understanding how to properly set up sales taxes. Two
areas of misunderstanding:

1) Company setup

We have set up a production instance and created a company. The ID
defaulted to 10000. The demo data uses "Company" as the system company
id and I have seen reference to the fact that this company id is
sometimes hardcoded.

I have also seen reference to a file called
AccountingProperties.properties where there is a setting for
accounting.company.partyId.
http://www.neogia.org/Scratch_deployment_procedure_-_part_II

However, this appears to based on an old version as I cannot find that
file in the source. As far as I can tell the current functionality can
determine everything it needs based on the Company and tax authorities
being set up properly. No settings in properties files or hardcoded
values are necessary.

2) Sales Tax determination
The setup seems to tie everything by Geography. Is the assessment of
sales tax based on the state of the customer and a lookup to the proper
tax authority? If it is an out of state purchase, ie., the customer is
in a different state than the Company is it automatically not taxed?

Also, is state as granular as OFBiz is currently capable of? What about
local tax authorities like city or county?
--
Vince Clark
Global Era

Re: Newbie question on collecting Sales Tax

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
My understanding is:

Create a Party Group for your company.
Assign it the roles demo data "Company" have.

When I do it without demo data,  I generally run two instances of Ofbiz
and refer the demo data setup to create similar setup (with different
names). As David suggested work with demo data before you attempt to
setup afresh. I did the setup with demo data couple of times to
understand the Ofbiz and finally, for production did it from scratch.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
This isn't built in or special anywhere, you just have to setup the data in many places for it. Also, this system is setup to be multi-organizational so you could technically have many of these company parties in the system (each with its own store, accounting settings, etc, etc).

Hence the recommendation to use the demo data... or sift through ALL of it and understand it all.

-David

Posted by Vince Clark <vc...@globalera.com>.
David

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.