Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/12/05 15:41:59 UTC

Where do we put it? (Was Re: [jchevm] Porting JCHEVM to OSX/PPC)

Sorry to interrupt with a technical issue...

On Nov 29, 2005, at 6:48 PM, David Tanzer wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 16:34 -0600, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> [...]
>>> I stripped out lots of ELF specific stuff, so my version could be
>>> interesting for a port to windows too. I just don't want to
>>> commit it
>>> to "trunk" yet because it's completely untested.
>>
>> You could create a branch to play with in Subversion. If you do,
>> I recommend also using svnmerge... http://dellroad.org/svnmerge
>
> Good Idea, but where would I place that branch?
> "harmony/enhanced/branches/sandbox/contribs/jchevm/osx_port"?
>
> I'll look at the rest of the issues later...

Is there a way to safely get this code in the main trunk?  I don't
mind (what about others?) if you need to work in the corner of the
sandbox, but this seems like enhancement to the trunk rather than a
revolutionary experiment...

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Where do we put it? (Was Re: [jchevm] Porting JCHEVM to OSX/PPC)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 5, 2005, at 11:48 AM, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> That's OK with me, but since it's still "completely untested" it
>>> seems
>>> like a branch may be better... but in any case, if there is some
>>> uncertainy,
>>> why not create a branch? Branches are essentially zero cost with
>>> Subversion,
>>> even if it's only for a short while to get things "in order", etc.
>> How about testing it? :)
>
> Sure.. but for that to happen, the patches have to be committed
> somewhere
> first (let's try to avoid emailing patches around and use SVN
> instead).

The developer should test locally first.  If it's a matter of the
developer not having the platform to test on, that's another story.

>> I believe that the changes shouldn't break jcheVM on platforms
>> other  than OSX/PPC, but if they don't work yet on OSX/PPC, that's
>> fine.    If that can't be done - if David can't do that, then
>> maybe a sandbox  is right, but at some point, it *has* to come
>> back to the tree, which  means that it doesn't break the existing
>> code, and I think that if we  can do that now in the trunk that's
>> better.
>
> OK, that's fine with me.
>
>> We'd like to have a culture of "check in stuff that doesn't break
>> others", but "commit early and often so others can see and work
>> with  what you are doing"
>
> I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what branches allow you to
> do :-)

Yes, but then you aren't working together on the codebase :)

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Is there a way to safely get this code in the main trunk?  I  don't
>>> mind (what about others?) if you need to work in the corner  of the
>>> sandbox, but this seems like enhancement to the trunk  rather than a
>>> revolutionary experiment...
>>

>> That's OK with me, but since it's still "completely untested" it seems
>> like a branch may be better... but in any case, if there is some
>> uncertainy,
>> why not create a branch? Branches are essentially zero cost with
>> Subversion,
>> even if it's only for a short while to get things "in order", etc.
>
> How about testing it? :)

Sure.. but for that to happen, the patches have to be committed somewhere
first (let's try to avoid emailing patches around and use SVN instead).

> I believe that the changes shouldn't break jcheVM on platforms other
> than OSX/PPC, but if they don't work yet on OSX/PPC, that's fine.    If
> that can't be done - if David can't do that, then maybe a sandbox  is
> right, but at some point, it *has* to come back to the tree, which
> means that it doesn't break the existing code, and I think that if we
> can do that now in the trunk that's better.

OK, that's fine with me.

> We'd like to have a culture of "check in stuff that doesn't break
> others", but "commit early and often so others can see and work with
> what you are doing"

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what branches allow you to do :-)

-Archie

Re: Where do we put it? (Was Re: [jchevm] Porting JCHEVM to OSX/PPC)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.

Posted by David Tanzer <st...@guglhupf.net>.
On Dec 5, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Sorry to interrupt with a technical issue...
>
> On Nov 29, 2005, at 6:48 PM, David Tanzer wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 16:34 -0600, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> You could create a branch to play with in Subversion. If you do,
>>> I recommend also using svnmerge... http://dellroad.org/svnmerge
>>
>> Good Idea, but where would I place that branch?
>> "harmony/enhanced/branches/sandbox/contribs/jchevm/osx_port"?
>>
>> I'll look at the rest of the issues later...
>
> Is there a way to safely get this code in the main trunk?  I don't
> mind (what about others?) if you need to work in the corner of the
> sandbox, but this seems like enhancement to the trunk rather than a
> revolutionary experiment...

I guess it wouldn't cause too much problems committing it to trunk
since we could
always revert to the base revision if something goes wrong. The real
question is:
Do we have/need a SVN policy? How would it look like?

Wherever I've worked with version control before there always were
rules like:
"Never break the build in trunk" or
"Only unit-tested code goes to trunk"
and similar. I just wanted to ask before I do something wrong...

Cheers, David.