Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Chris Black <cb...@lotuscat.com> on 2003/04/25 02:16:37 UTC

lenya/wyona status and cocoon/tomcat versions

This may have been discussed on this list or others before and I have
read some of the posts in the mailing list archives. I have spent a
bunch of time reading lots of project descriptions in the xml.apache.org
and jakarta.apache.org sites trying to find what I need, but there are a
LOT of projects :)
What I would like to do is use cocoon as the publishing framework to
transform sets of xml files into html, pdf, etc. Cocoon is obviously
well suited for this. What is not in cocoon as far as I know is the
ability to have a template header on every html page, a dynamically
generated sidebar listing possible docs, and other functions normally
handled by a CMS (access control, revision control, etc). It seems that
lenya/wyona handles these things, but I have a few questions.

I am confused about the state of Lenya, it seems to be a new apache
project yet lenya isn't listed in any apache project lists I can find.
Is this just because it is currently in transition from wyona? I am also
a bit confused about the difference between Lenya and Wyona... which
should I use if I want something that will be stable but also
future-proof (as in, I want to use something with a somewhat active
devel/user community)?

I also noticed that lenya installation docs mention what I believed were
development versions of other apache projects as prerequisites. Do I
really need these versions or will jakarta-tomcat-4.0.x and cocoon 2.0.x
work with lenya? How about the endorsed libraries, must I use the ones
in the endorsed tarball? Should I start with a wyona download instead? I
want to get up and running with a cocoon-based xml cms but don't want to
use too much cutting edge software I will have to worry about.

I will be testing an install of lenya or wyona on tomcat 4.0.x and
cocoon 2.0.x but was wondering if anyone could give me definitive
information on what I may run into.

Sorry to ask all these questions right away, but I am having trouble
getting answers from the lenya documentation.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Re: devel versions of supporting software (was Re: lenya/wyona statusand cocoon/tomcat versions)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Markus Vaterlaus wrote:
> Hi Gregor, hi list,
>
> Am Freitag, 25.04.03 um 17:00 Uhr schrieb Gregor J. Rothfuss:
>

>> But could you or
>> someone else address whether lenya actually needs/uses any of the new
>> features of the devel versions of
>> <<
>>

>> ant, -> xslt features. so yes
>> tomcat -> endorsed libs, better virtual host support
>> cocoon  -> scores of features. lenya will NOT run on older cocoons
>>

>> or if that is
>> just what lenya is most tested on by developers?
>> <<
>>
>> that is not an or, but an "and". with the large number of jdk versions,
>> servlet container, cocoon, platforms, we have to restrain ourselves.
>> talk about combinatorial explosions :)
>>

> Even, if there is a almost infinite number of combinations are there any
> experiences on Lenya running on any other servlet container than tomcat?
> Just asking out of curiosity.

Well, Lenya should run on any servlet engine, where Cocoon is able to
run on:

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html

Michael

> Markus
>
>> hope this helps
>>
>> -gregor

Michael Wechner
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: devel versions of supporting software (was Re: lenya/wyona statusand cocoon/tomcat versions)

Posted by Markus Vaterlaus <mv...@mus.ch>.
Hi Gregor, hi list,

Posted by Chris Black <cb...@lotuscat.com>.
Markus, thanks for the information/clarification! But could you or
someone else address whether lenya actually needs/uses any of the new
features of the devel versions of ant, tomcat and cocoon or if that is
just what lenya is most tested on by developers?

Thanks again,
Chris

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 00:52, Markus Vaterlaus wrote:
> Hi Cris, hi list,

[snippage]

> To set up a instance of Lenya it's advisable, that you use "supporting"
> software which Lenya was tested against. You'll find the these pieces
> of software (Tomcat, Cocoon, Ant, Libraries) at
> <http://www.wyona.org/lenya/>
[more snippage]

Posted by Markus Vaterlaus <mv...@mus.ch>.
Hi Cris, hi list,

you are right, Lenya, Wyona and the status of the project add a lot of
confusion... However, I try to clarify with the next few lines.

It looks, like Lenya could help you to achieve your goal, like sketched
out in your scope.

Lenya was formerly known as Wyona which was formerly known as XPS.
However, Lenya is the actual name and it is in the status of an Apache
Incubator project. The latter involves quite a deal of reorganisation,
therefore you'll find different names and sometimes misleading
informations.

To set up a instance of Lenya it's advisable, that you use "supporting"
software which Lenya was tested against. You'll find the these pieces
of software (Tomcat, Cocoon, Ant, Libraries) at
<http://www.wyona.org/lenya/>

To download Lenya from CVS and install it on your computer please
follow the instructions at
<http://www.wyona.org/download/downloading_and_installing.html>

If you are using Eclipse you might want to check out the following
instruction: <http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=GETlenya>

HTH

Markus