Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Josh Jacob <jo...@hansoninc.com> on 2006/05/03 15:00:15 UTC

Tomcat/IIS - how to map all web apps and not conflict with IIS content...

Hello,

	I have Tomcat and IIS successfully communicating with the AJP
1.3/isapi_redirect setup, however, I do have a question about the URL
mappings. I'd like to provide someone the ability to upload/FTP WARs and
have them automatically deploy and served with IIS without having to
edit the "uriworkermap.properties" file and restart IIS.

	I know I can wildcard the whole Tomcat install like this:

	/=ajp13
	/*=ajp13

	but this conflicts with existing IIS content.

	My first thought was to try and get an IIS directory called
something like "/webapps" and map that to the root of the Tomcat install
so IIS URLs like this:

	http://www.site.com/webapps/jsp-examples/

	get mapped to Tomcat URLs like this:

	http://www.site.com:8080/jsp-examples/

	but I think there would be issues with the web apps knowing
their context and linking. Maybe if I could get Tomcat to prefix all
contexts with "/webapps" this would work. Anyone know if this is
possible?

	My second thought was to come up with some naming convention for
web apps. For example, if all web apps start with a "j" then I could
maybe map the URLs like this:

	/j*/*=ajp13

	and the user would just need to not name directories in IIS with
a "j" as the first character.

	Anyone out there doing something similar to this? Or any
suggestions on something else to look into? Thanks in advance for any
pointers.

	Here's the environment I'm running:

	+ Windows Server 2003
	+ Tomcat 5.5.17
	+ isapi_redirect.dll 1.2.14

- josh jacob

Re: Tomcat/IIS - how to map all web apps and not conflict with IIS content...

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
My only suggestion here is to use some type of generic naming convention.

We use the deprecated MOD_JK2, but it is similar in that it has a properties
file as well.

We just have our URI mappings to something like this and we are asking our
users to use the /servlet* URI for all servlet calls.  This allows all
regular content on port 80 to remain in Apache (in our case) and forward all
the requests that map to the URIs below to Tomcat.  However, with this
approach (depending on what we are doing) we do create Aliases in Apache for
each webapp's directory.

**/*.jsp=ajp13
**/servlet*=ajp13

On 5/3/06, Josh Jacob <jo...@hansoninc.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>        I have Tomcat and IIS successfully communicating with the AJP
> 1.3/isapi_redirect setup, however, I do have a question about the URL
> mappings. I'd like to provide someone the ability to upload/FTP WARs and
> have them automatically deploy and served with IIS without having to
> edit the "uriworkermap.properties" file and restart IIS.
>
>        I know I can wildcard the whole Tomcat install like this:
>
>        /=ajp13
>        /*=ajp13
>
>        but this conflicts with existing IIS content.
>
>        My first thought was to try and get an IIS directory called
> something like "/webapps" and map that to the root of the Tomcat install
> so IIS URLs like this:
>
>        http://www.site.com/webapps/jsp-examples/
>
>        get mapped to Tomcat URLs like this:
>
>        http://www.site.com:8080/jsp-examples/
>
>        but I think there would be issues with the web apps knowing
> their context and linking. Maybe if I could get Tomcat to prefix all
> contexts with "/webapps" this would work. Anyone know if this is
> possible?
>
>        My second thought was to come up with some naming convention for
> web apps. For example, if all web apps start with a "j" then I could
> maybe map the URLs like this:
>
>        /j*/*=ajp13
>
>        and the user would just need to not name directories in IIS with
> a "j" as the first character.
>
>        Anyone out there doing something similar to this? Or any
> suggestions on something else to look into? Thanks in advance for any
> pointers.
>
>        Here's the environment I'm running:
>
>        + Windows Server 2003
>        + Tomcat 5.5.17
>        + isapi_redirect.dll 1.2.14
>

> - josh jacob

Marc Farrow

RE: Tomcat/IIS - how to map all web apps and not conflict with IIS content...

Posted by Chris Berthold <cb...@styleline.com>.
I had a similar problem, I use Apache, but the concepts are the same. Create
another virtual host specifically for your Tomcat deployments and map them
to Tomcat. It will definitely simplify your day and configuration.
Otherwise I believe you would have to do some rewrite rules and that just
gets ugly.

Chris Berthold
IT Systems Analyst
Commercial Refrigerator Door Company