Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mu...@bnpparibas.com on 2008/01/25 08:54:40 UTC

Printing issue

Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them
programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf files
from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no user
intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the background.
Can I do this fop.

Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Do not print this message unless it is necessary,
consider the environment.

N'imprimez ce message que si necessaire,
pensez a l'environnement.

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
I dont think that you can convert pdf to anything else using fop. Idont
think this is the right place for our requirement.  I found an
alternative. Use command line pdf printing tools which are commercially
available. That is the best alternative that I find.

Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Extranet
mikeanderson601@yahoo.com
01/27/2008 10:41 PM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

fop-users
cc

Subject
Re: Printing issue

Hi Alexander,

       Thanks a lot for your reply. I have few questions in your example.

 1)I have only existing pdf file and don't have any xml, xsl and other
files. How can we convert  pdf to ps    file. In your exmple  to create ps
file  xml and xsl are needed.

      FOPTransformer.getInstance().createPostscript(psFile,  xml, xsl);

 2)In order to create PS file from PDF  do i need xml and xsl files.
Infact
i dont have any idea on xsl files.
   All i need is print the existing pdf file directly to the printer.

    Really i appreciate your answers,

    Thanks,
    Mike.

Re: Printing issue

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Alexander Lohse <al...@humantouch.de>.
Hi Muralidhar,

we do the same, but the best way I found is to use FOP to create
postscript and send this directly to PS-enabled printers.

This works fairly well, but leaves most Inkjet-Printer aside as they
usually cannot interpret postscript.

Regards,

Alex

Here is some sample code:

		DocFlavor flavor = DocFlavor.INPUT_STREAM.POSTSCRIPT;

             PrintRequestAttributeSet attributes = new
HashPrintRequestAttributeSet();
             attributes.add(MediaSizeName.ISO_A4);

             PrintService[] services =
PrintServiceLookup.lookupPrintServices(flavor, attributes);
             PrintService defaultService =
PrintServiceLookup.lookupDefaultPrintService();

		// You do not have to use this dialog
		// Just select the PrintService via getName() and manuelly modify
your PrintRequestAttributeSet
             PrintService service = ServiceUI.printDialog(null, 200,
200, services, defaultService, flavor, attributes);

             if (service != null) {

                 StringBuffer info = new StringBuffer();
                 info.append(service.getName()).append(": ");
                 for(Attribute attribute : attributes.toArray()) {
                     System.out.println("attribute: " + attribute);
                     if (attribute instanceof MediaTray) {
                         MediaTray tray = (MediaTray) attribute;

info.append(tray).append(" (").append(tray.getValue()).append(")");
                     }
                 }

                 File psFile = TemporaryFile.create("ps");

                 log.info("creating postscript file at: " +
psFile.getAbsolutePath());

		// This is just a helper tool I wrote for FOP using MIME-TYPE
postscript
		// replace this with your FOP transformation
                 FOPTransformer.getInstance().createPostscript(psFile,
xml, xsl);

                 final InputStream is = new FileInputStream(psFile);
                 SimpleDoc doc = new SimpleDoc(is, flavor, null);
                 DocPrintJob job = service.createPrintJob();
                 job.addPrintJobListener(new PrintJobAdapter() {

                     public void
printDataTransferCompleted(PrintJobEvent pje) {
                         log.info("print-job transfer completed");
                         printJobEnded();
                     }

                     public void printJobNoMoreEvents(PrintJobEvent
pje) {
                         log.info("print-job no more events");
                         printJobEnded();
                     }

                     public void printJobCompleted(PrintJobEvent pje) {
                         log.info("print-job completed");
                         printJobEnded();
                     }

                     public void printJobCanceled(PrintJobEvent pje) {
                         log.info("print-job cancelled");
                         printJobEnded();
                     }

                     public void printJobFailed(PrintJobEvent pje) {
                         log.info("print-job failed");
                         printJobEnded();
                     }

                     public void
printJobRequiresAttention(PrintJobEvent pje) {
                         log.info("print-job attention");
                     }

                     private synchronized void printJobEnded() {
                         try {
                             is.close();
                         } catch (IOException exc) {
                             exc.printStackTrace();
                         }
                     }
                 });

                 job.print(doc, attributes);
             }

Am 25.01.2008 um 22:53 schrieb Jeremias Maerki:

> On 25.01.2008 22:37:38 mikeanderson wrote:
>>
>> Muralidhar,
>>    I am also getting same king of problem. I have already existing
>> pdf
>> file. I want to  print the pdf file without user interaction. I
>> have goggled
>> and got some information.
>>
>>      InputStream is = new BufferedInputStream(
>>                    new FileInputStream("c:\\test.pdf"));
>>            // Here  we need to convert pdf to pcl using fop
>> 	    byte[] data = null; /* the fop output */;
>>            DocFlavor flavor = DocFlavor.BYTE_ARRAY.PCL;
>>            PrintService service =
>> PrintServiceLookup.lookupDefaultPrintService();
>>            DocFlavor[] flavors = service.getSupportedDocFlavors();
>>            // Create the print job
>>            DocPrintJob job = service.createPrintJob();
>>            Doc doc = new SimpleDoc(data, flavor, null);
>>            // Print it
>>            job.print(doc, null);
>>
>>    Murali , The above code may gives you some idea to print pdf ,
>> but we
>> have to know how to convert  PDF file to PCL using FOP.
>>

> FOP cannot convert PDF into anything!!!! FOP can only produce PDF! You
> need a different tool.
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Alexander Lohse • Entwicklungsleitung & Projektmanagement
Tel +49 38374 752 11 • Fax +49 38374 752 23
http://www.humantouch.de

Human Touch Medienproduktion GmbH
Am See 1 • 17440 Klein Jasedow • Deutschland

Geschäftsführung:
Lara Mallien, Nele Hybsier, Alexander Lohse, Johannes Heimrath (Senior)
Handelsregister Stralsund • HRB 4192 • USt-IdNr. DE128367684

Re: Printing issue

Posted by mikeanderson <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Do you know Is there any tool to convert PDF to PCL or any better way to
print the pdf file directly to the printer. Please provide the links if
anyone knows.
Thanks In Advance,
Mike.

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 25.01.2008 22:37:38 mikeanderson wrote:

> Muralidhar,
>     I am also getting same king of problem. I have already existing pdf
> file. I want to  print the pdf file without user interaction. I have goggled
> and got some information.
>
>       InputStream is = new BufferedInputStream(
>                     new FileInputStream("c:\\test.pdf"));
>             // Here  we need to convert pdf to pcl using fop
> 	    byte[] data = null; /* the fop output */;
>             DocFlavor flavor = DocFlavor.BYTE_ARRAY.PCL;
>             PrintService service =
> PrintServiceLookup.lookupDefaultPrintService();
>             DocFlavor[] flavors = service.getSupportedDocFlavors();
>             // Create the print job
>             DocPrintJob job = service.createPrintJob();
>             Doc doc = new SimpleDoc(data, flavor, null);
>             // Print it
>             job.print(doc, null);
>
>     Murali , The above code may gives you some idea to print pdf , but we
> have to know how to convert  PDF file to PCL using FOP.

FOP cannot convert PDF into anything!!!! FOP can only produce PDF! You
need a different tool.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
Hi, almost the code you wrote is a normal code to print docs in java. but
the problem is all doc flavaours are not supporetd by all the printers. My
printer supports only few. I am not sure about PCL flavour also. Any way
will try and see.

Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Extranet
mikeanderson601@yahoo.com
01/26/2008 03:07 AM

Re: Printing issue

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 25.01.2008 12:19:44 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> Hi I have tried with the "-print"  command of fop. It says "Content not
> allowed as input file" . Even i had gone through your embeded example it
> also shows that the input file should be of extension *.fo .

That's right. I didn't mean something like "fop mydoc.pdf -print" (that
doesn't work), I meant "fop -fo mydoc.fo -print". That means you
wouldn't generate a PDF at all this way. You may not need a PDF at all.

> I have
> googled a lot on printing pdf. There are so many threads in the forums on
> the same. None had a solution. After so much of effort in googling then I
> just came to try with fop as it generates pdf. But I think this does not
> do what I want. So just thinking what could be done.
>
> There are some command line pdf printing tools available commercially. And
> also some java api. But I dont find any open source or some sort of free
> tool for this.

GhostScript is open source (GPL) which, depending on the legal
requirements, may work for you. Otherwise, there are indeed no usable
PDF interpreters in the open source domain, yet.

> [...]
> 01/25/2008 04:27 PM
> Please respond to
> fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

> fop-users
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: Printing issue
>

> Have you tried the -print option just to see if that would be an option
> for you? The experiment only takes you two minutes but might save you a
> lot of trouble.
>
> Options for printing PDF are:
> - remote-control Adobe Acrobat using COM on Windows.
> - GhostScript can print PDFs. I'm not sure what the automation grade
> would be.
> - There are various PDF tools on the internet that might help you here.
> GIYF.
> - Some (more expensive) printers support printing PDF directly.
>
> On 25.01.2008 11:48:34 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> > Ya I think we cannot print the pdf documents with fop. It is only
> possible
> > if you are generating pdf using fop. It takes the input file (which
> cannot
> > be pdf) and renders that into various paginated output file but the
> input
> > file will be processed and will be sent to the printer not the generated
>
> > output.
> >
> > If I am wrong please correct me. If there is any way that i can print
> > already existing pdf kindly tell me.
> >
> > Thanks And Regards,
> > Muralidhar Yaragalla.
> >

> > Extranet
> > dev@jeremias-maerki.ch
> > 01/25/2008 02:06 PM
> > Please respond to
> > fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

> > fop-users
> > cc
> >
> > Subject
> > Re: Printing issue
> >

> > FOP has PDF generation capabilities but FOP cannot print PDF files (you
> > need a different tool for that). However, if it's only about printing
> > the generated document (I say document here, not PDF, because PDF is
> > just one possible output format of FOP), you can also use the
> > "PrintRenderer" which doesn't generate a PDF but uses Java2D/AWT to
> > print the document using Java's printing capabilities.
> >
> > On the FOP command-line, this is the "-print" parameter. For embedded
> > use, have a look at:
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/ExampleFO2OldStylePrint.java?view=markup
>

> > Note to self and fop-devs: Since we're now on Java 1.4 we can/should
> > eventually switch over to using JPS.
> >
> > On 25.01.2008 08:54:40 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> > > Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them
>
> > > programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf
> > files
> > > from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no
> > user
> > > intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Extranet
abel.online@xs4all.nl
01/25/2008 06:03 PM

Muralidhar_YARAGALLA@bnpparibas.com wrote:

> There are some command line pdf printing tools available commercially.
> And also some java api. But I dont find any open source or some sort
> of free tool for this.
>
> I am specifically looking for some tool which does not require any
> user intervention. It should not show any popup or dialouge boxes. It
> should happen silently in the background.

If you are on Windows, you can try this tool:
http://www.geocities.com/dosprint. It is not free, but for $40 it won't
make you go bankrupt, I hope ;)

HTH,
Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Abel Braaksma <ab...@xs4all.nl>.
Muralidhar_YARAGALLA@bnpparibas.com wrote:

> There are some command line pdf printing tools available commercially.
> And also some java api. But I dont find any open source or some sort
> of free tool for this.
>
> I am specifically looking for some tool which does not require any
> user intervention. It should not show any popup or dialouge boxes. It
> should happen silently in the background.

If you are on Windows, you can try this tool:
http://www.geocities.com/dosprint. It is not free, but for $40 it won't
make you go bankrupt, I hope ;)

HTH,
Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
I think cups is to generate pdf not to print pdf files. It basically
installs printer and when the other sort of docs sent to this printer it
generates pdf(called printing to pdf). It is not of my requirement.
Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Extranet
squirk@ieee.org
01/25/2008 08:01 PM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

fop-users
cc

Subject
Re: Printing issue

It's possible to generate output for the printer with FOP, but it sounds
like you really have PDF and just want to get that to the printer.  Right?

Look at CUPS - a quick google on cups+print+pdf will get you nearly all
you need.

In general, getting something to print is 90% a sysadmin issue involving
obscure interactions between the host OS and the printer, so you won't
find any complete recipe; you'll have to experiment.

Steve

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Steve Quirk <sq...@ieee.org>.
> [...]

>> "PrintRenderer" which doesn't generate a PDF but uses Java2D/AWT to
>> print the document using Java's printing capabilities.
>>
>> On the FOP command-line, this is the "-print" parameter. For embedded
>> use, have a look at:
>>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/ExampleFO2OldStylePrint.java?view=markup
>

>> Note to self and fop-devs: Since we're now on Java 1.4 we can/should
>> eventually switch over to using JPS.
>>
>> On 25.01.2008 08:54:40 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
>>> Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them
>
>>> programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf
>> files
>>> from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no
>> user
>>> intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
> [...]

> "PrintRenderer" which doesn't generate a PDF but uses Java2D/AWT to
> print the document using Java's printing capabilities.
>
> On the FOP command-line, this is the "-print" parameter. For embedded
> use, have a look at:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/ExampleFO2OldStylePrint.java?view=markup

> Note to self and fop-devs: Since we're now on Java 1.4 we can/should
> eventually switch over to using JPS.
>
> On 25.01.2008 08:54:40 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> > Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them

> > programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf
> files
> > from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no
> user
> > intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Have you tried the -print option just to see if that would be an option
for you? The experiment only takes you two minutes but might save you a
lot of trouble.

Options for printing PDF are:
- remote-control Adobe Acrobat using COM on Windows.
- GhostScript can print PDFs. I'm not sure what the automation grade
would be.
- There are various PDF tools on the internet that might help you here.
GIYF.
- Some (more expensive) printers support printing PDF directly.

On 25.01.2008 11:48:34 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> Ya I think we cannot print the pdf documents with fop. It is only possible
> if you are generating pdf using fop. It takes the input file (which cannot
> be pdf) and renders that into various paginated output file but the input
> file will be processed and will be sent to the printer not the generated
> output.
>
> If I am wrong please correct me. If there is any way that i can print
> already existing pdf kindly tell me.
>
> Thanks And Regards,
> Muralidhar Yaragalla.
>

> Extranet
> dev@jeremias-maerki.ch
> 01/25/2008 02:06 PM
> Please respond to
> fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

> fop-users
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: Printing issue
>

> FOP has PDF generation capabilities but FOP cannot print PDF files (you
> need a different tool for that). However, if it's only about printing
> the generated document (I say document here, not PDF, because PDF is
> just one possible output format of FOP), you can also use the
> "PrintRenderer" which doesn't generate a PDF but uses Java2D/AWT to
> print the document using Java's printing capabilities.
>
> On the FOP command-line, this is the "-print" parameter. For embedded
> use, have a look at:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/ExampleFO2OldStylePrint.java?view=markup
>

> Note to self and fop-devs: Since we're now on Java 1.4 we can/should
> eventually switch over to using JPS.
>
> On 25.01.2008 08:54:40 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> > Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them
> > programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf
> files
> > from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no
> user
> > intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the
> background.
> > Can I do this fop.
> >
> > Thanks And Regards,
> > Muralidhar Yaragalla.
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
Hi some one suggested dosprint for pdf files. It is erong. Dosprint cannot
print PDF files.

Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Do not print this message unless it is necessary,
consider the environment.

N'imprimez ce message que si necessaire,
pensez a l'environnement.

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
I completly agree with the following.

"FOP has PDF generation capabilities but FOP cannot print PDF files (you
need a different tool for that). However, if it's only about printing
the generated document (I say document here, not PDF, because PDF is
just one possible output format of FOP)"

But I also have to print the document after generating. For Example I had
generated a PDF paged document and I also need to print it without user
intervention. I am looking at the example given by you. will get back if
any problem.

Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Extranet
dev@jeremias-maerki.ch
01/25/2008 02:06 PM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

fop-users
cc

Subject
Re: Printing issue

FOP has PDF generation capabilities but FOP cannot print PDF files (you
need a different tool for that). However, if it's only about printing
the generated document (I say document here, not PDF, because PDF is
just one possible output format of FOP), you can also use the
"PrintRenderer" which doesn't generate a PDF but uses Java2D/AWT to
print the document using Java's printing capabilities.

On the FOP command-line, this is the "-print" parameter. For embedded
use, have a look at:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/ExampleFO2OldStylePrint.java?view=markup

Note to self and fop-devs: Since we're now on Java 1.4 we can/should
eventually switch over to using JPS.

On 25.01.2008 08:54:40 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them
> programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf
files
> from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no
user
> intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the
background.
> Can I do this fop.
>
> Thanks And Regards,
> Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Jeremias Maerki

Do not print this message unless it is necessary,
consider the environment.

N'imprimez ce message que si necessaire,
pensez a l'environnement.

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Mu...@bnpparibas.com.
Ya I think we cannot print the pdf documents with fop. It is only possible
if you are generating pdf using fop. It takes the input file (which cannot
be pdf) and renders that into various paginated output file but the input
file will be processed and will be sent to the printer not the generated
output.

If I am wrong please correct me. If there is any way that i can print
already existing pdf kindly tell me.

Thanks And Regards,
Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Extranet
dev@jeremias-maerki.ch
01/25/2008 02:06 PM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

fop-users
cc

Subject
Re: Printing issue

FOP has PDF generation capabilities but FOP cannot print PDF files (you
need a different tool for that). However, if it's only about printing
the generated document (I say document here, not PDF, because PDF is
just one possible output format of FOP), you can also use the
"PrintRenderer" which doesn't generate a PDF but uses Java2D/AWT to
print the document using Java's printing capabilities.

On the FOP command-line, this is the "-print" parameter. For embedded
use, have a look at:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/ExampleFO2OldStylePrint.java?view=markup

Note to self and fop-devs: Since we're now on Java 1.4 we can/should
eventually switch over to using JPS.

On 25.01.2008 08:54:40 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them
> programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf
files
> from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no
user
> intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the
background.
> Can I do this fop.
>
> Thanks And Regards,
> Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Printing issue

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
FOP has PDF generation capabilities but FOP cannot print PDF files (you
need a different tool for that). However, if it's only about printing
the generated document (I say document here, not PDF, because PDF is
just one possible output format of FOP), you can also use the
"PrintRenderer" which doesn't generate a PDF but uses Java2D/AWT to
print the document using Java's printing capabilities.

On the FOP command-line, this is the "-print" parameter. For embedded
use, have a look at:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/ExampleFO2OldStylePrint.java?view=markup

Note to self and fop-devs: Since we're now on Java 1.4 we can/should
eventually switch over to using JPS.

On 25.01.2008 08:54:40 Muralidhar_YARAGALLA wrote:
> Hi I know with fop we can generate PDF documents but can we print them
> programatically without user intervention.  I need to fetch the pdf files
> from a folder and i have to send them for printing. no pop up and no user
> intervention should be there. It should happen silently in the background.
> Can I do this fop.
>
> Thanks And Regards,
> Muralidhar Yaragalla.

Jeremias Maerki