Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com> on 2003/07/24 18:14:44 UTC

depend types was: Please add jUDDI (http://juddi.sourceforge.net) to Gump...

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com> wrote:
>

>>But can we capture teh difference betwwen "build" time and "compile"
>>time dependencies into gump
>>

>Are there any compile time dependencies (i.e. things your code
>imports) that are not runtime dependencies as well?

Yes log4j,  is required to compile, but at runtime we fallback to
System.out.

>"build time" would be things like Ant, JavaCC, JUnit, Checkstyle for
>most projects.  But I think "compile time" with the definition above
>is a subset of runtime.
>

>>Or is ant special enough that we just recommend people use a
>>"released" ant.
>>

>Maybe in the case of Ant, but what about JavaCC (two different, binary
>and API incompatible new versions over the past two months)?

Good point.

perhaps there is three types of depends  build / compile / runtime.

Re: depend types was: Please add jUDDI (http://juddi.sourceforge.net) to Gump...

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>Are there any compile time dependencies (i.e. things your code
>>imports) that are not runtime dependencies as well?
>
> Yes log4j,  is required to compile, but at runtime we fallback to
> System.out.

Ah, interesting.  The other way around is more common, require JAXP at
compile-time and in addition a parser/transformer as runtime.

Do you use log4j as <option> with conditional compilation then?

Anyway.  We seem to need

<depend runtime="true"/>
<depend/>

and yet another one.  <depend/> should probably be left as "compile"
and we could add buildonly="true" or similar for things like Ant.

Or we add a type attribute and morph runtime="true" into
type="runtime".  This certainly scales best if we ever stumble over
more types (like DD's test-compile) and find we really need them.

Stefan