Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by ma...@jpmorgan.com on 2006/09/14 12:17:33 UTC

QPID Client JDK Support

Hi All,

I know that we talked about this before, but I'd like to perform a minor
volte face and suggest that we do need the client java code to be 1.4
compatible.

I think it's ok for the broker to be 1.5+, though it'd be better if it
could also do 1.4.

On an unrelated point - please note that Steve Shaw, Bhupendra Bhardwaj,
Martin Ritchie, Robert Greig & I are all not receiving emails from
redhat-ers postings to this list.

This (I hope) explains some of our odd & strangely out of date postings
e.g. mine about persistence.

We'll be looking at the archive until this eventually (ever ???) gets
fixed. Perhaps smoke signals would be easier for us here :-)

Regards,
Marnie

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: QPID Client JDK Support

Posted by ma...@jpmorgan.com.
Hi,

Yes - the reason for raising the 1.4 issue (and suggesting we should
support it) was a client request here.

I guess using the retrotranslator would be ok, assuming that it made the
upgrade path simple enough i.e. there aren't any interface changes as a
result ....

Regards,
Marnie

"Robert Greig" <ro...@gmail.com>
14/09/2006 17:11
Please respond to qpid-dev

        To:     qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: QPID Client JDK Support

> If this tool really works then it would be preferable not to backport
> everything to 1.4. If it almost-but-not-quite works it could be a big
> headache. How much experience do folks have with this?

On the MINA list this was discussed and IIRC at least one person on
that list had positive experiences with retrotranslator (although it
could have been retroweaver...) It is generally run at build time so
there should not be any run-time performance hit - although even if
there was presumably anyone using 1.4 isn't overly concerned with
performance?

Since 1.6 is going to be GA'd very soon, by supporting 1.5 and 1.6 we
would be supporting the two most recent GA'd JDK versions.

Originally we wanted to support 1.4 and 1.5 on the client since we
were following the "most recent two JDK versions" rule at that time
(which was something like 18 months ago).

The main advantage I see of making the client codebase depend on 1.5
would be that some more code could be pushed into common. Anyone
looking at the code will spot that there is quite a lot of similarity
and to a certain extent duplication between some classes in the client
and the broker, with the broker using generics.

Marnie, can you elaborate on the 1.4 requirement? Do we have any
(JPMC) people asking for 1.4?

RG

Re: QPID Client JDK Support

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

RE: QPID Client JDK Support

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 11:37 +0100, marnie.mccormack@jpmorgan.com wrote:
> However, I do think we need to agree what JDK support the QPID code will
> deliver 'out of the box' - rather than assume that users can translate the
> code if necessary ?

>>From my reading of the webpage retrotranslator can also be used at buidl
time, so the qpid project can use 1.5 features but build and ship jars
that are 1.4 compatible  out-of-the-box.

If this tool really works then it would be preferable not to backport
everything to 1.4. If it almost-but-not-quite works it could be a big
headache. How much experience do folks have with this?

Cheers,
Alan.

RE: QPID Client JDK Support

Posted by ma...@jpmorgan.com.
Hi Colin,

Thanks for that - I guess this is at least a good short term option for
users.

However, I do think we need to agree what JDK support the QPID code will
deliver 'out of the box' - rather than assume that users can translate the
code if necessary ?

I also think it's nice to be in control of the code's performance at the
writer level, as opposed to allowing the translator to do with it what it
will :-)

Regards,
Marnie

"Colin Crist" <co...@hermesjms.com>
14/09/2006 11:31

        To:     <qp...@incubator.apache.org>
        cc:     <IB...@jpmchase.com>

Hi,

You could consider using http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/ to
support
a 1.4 client. I use it quite successfully.

Colin.
http://hermesjms.com

RE: QPID Client JDK Support