Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by edwardk <ek...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/24 09:23:16 UTC

Understanding Swap Space feature-- how it works?

Hi,

I am trying to understand the support in Ignite for spilling over to disk
when memory limits are reached.

I see there is a feature of swap space as in the link below,
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/off-heap-memory#swap-space

But, I am not clear on how it works.

When we configure swap-space it appears the cached data would be stored in
swap space.

But, what would the change be from the perspective of client. Is it
completely transparent to the client.

I do understand that there would be a performance impact if it is enabled,
as it would slow the cache operations as some data would be in memory and
some in disk.

Does this feature work and can we rely on it for critical scenarios where we
expect data size to be more which cannot be accommodated within the
configured memory limits.

Also, is there a way we can configure it per cache and not globally so that
for some items alone it can spill over to disk

Re: Understanding Swap Space feature-- how it works?

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

As far as my understanding goes, you do not need to do anything special to
get data off swap. You can just access any data in the cache, whether
swapped out or not.

I'm not sure how it would interact with eviction.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by martinlundaskoe <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Valentin

TL/DR; How is data evicted from swap then?

I know this is an old issue, but I am also trying to understand the swap
feature.

This may be outdated by now due to the addition of Native Persistence, but I

Re: Understanding Swap Space feature-- how it works?

Posted by rushi_rashi <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I have question related to swap memory.
If we have set setSwapEnabled to true,
a. When will be the data is written to disc?
b. If by default data is written to disc only when free space is not
available in RAM, then can we limit the usage of RAM, lets say write to disc
when 80% of RAM is used. Although eviction policy writes data to off heap
memory but not to disc.

Re: Understanding Swap Space feature-- how it works?

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Yes, swap space is transparent. Only keep in mind that whenever you read an
entry from swap, it has to be unswapped first. So it's useful for the data
that is rarely used, but still can't be accessed sometimes. If all you data
is active, you will end up with a lot of swaps/unswaps which will seriously
drop performance.

Swap can be enabled or disabled on per cache level via
CacheConfiguration.setSwapEnabled property.

-Val