Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> on 2016/12/01 01:33:28 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-97: Improved Kafka Client RPC Compatibility Policy

Hi all,

I updated the KIP to include a command to print out the version
information of brokers (KAFKA-4457).  This will be a useful command for
administrators.

best,
Colin

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 2, 2016, at 13:41, Ashish Singh wrote:
> Colin,
>
> I just rebased KAFKA-3600's PR on trunk.

Thanks, Ashish!

> KAFKA-4457 is a good idea, however it is probably doing some redundant
> work. AdminClient has a network client that will already have api
> versions
> info (after KAFKA-3600 goes in), so I do not think we need to send out
> another ApiVersions request over wire.

That's a good point.  As long as we can talk to all brokers.  Let's
continue the discussion on Jira.

I'll start a vote thread for KIP-97.

Best,
Colin

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>.
Colin,

I just rebased KAFKA-3600's PR on trunk.

KAFKA-4457 is a good idea, however it is probably doing some redundant
work. AdminClient has a network client that will already have api versions
info (after KAFKA-3600 goes in), so I do not think we need to send out
another ApiVersions request over wire.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I updated the KIP to include a command to print out the version
> information of brokers (KAFKA-4457).  This will be a useful command for
> administrators.
>
> best,
> Colin
>

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016, at 11:17, Colin McCabe wrote:
> > Thanks, Ashish.  I think the idea of having the client make an
> > ApiVersionRequest call when it starts up is a good one.  This idea is
> > described in both KIP-97, and the KAFKA-3600 patches.  I also think we
> > ought to maintain per-node version information.  It would be good to get
> > that in so that we can use it as a building block for the stuff
> > described in this KIP.  I'd be happy to review it.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2016, at 10:40, Ashish Singh wrote:
> > > Hello Ismael,
> > >
> > > It is good to know that you are willing to review KAFKA-3600 again. As
> > > before, we at Cloudera are highly in support of client compatibility,
> and
> > > KAFKA-3600 has always been a building block for that. Now that client
> > > compatibility is at forefront again, thanks to Colin, I will be happy
> > > rebase KAFKA-3600 on trunk. However, any comments/ feedback on
> > > KAFKA-3600's
> > > approach on maintaining api version info for each connected broker is
> > > highly welcome.

> to the
> is
> think it