Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2003/12/06 21:36:26 UTC

Re: Resolution: only print specific error message when present

Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:

> I think it is much more important to display brief, elegant,
> non-redundant error messages than it is to be able to reverse-map an
> error message to an error code.  Error codes are for programs, not for
> people.  Given only the specific error message, one should still
> usually be able to reverse-map to a location in the source where the
> error is generated.  (And, of course, enable-maintainer-mode builds
> will display that information along with the error.)

My biggest concern about our error code system is that localization in
the future is going to be a nightmare.  At least with the redundant
error message strings, we have a single place to hook in a
localization system.  But on the flip-side, I agree that the redundant
messages are not the most useful things in the world -- in an error
condition, the more details we can give, the better.

Re: Unsupported printf positional parameters on Windows [was: Re: Resolution: only print specific error message when present]

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@nortelnetworks.com>.
%% Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:

  >> "%2$d Zeichen lang ist die Ziechenkette  '%1$s'\n"
  >> Apparently, Windows doesn't have this support.

  jf> Nor does standard C, so you can't rely on any platform having
  jf> support for this.

Although not required by ISO C (yet?), they _are_ required by POSIX
standards.  FYI.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 09:41, Julian Foad wrote:
>
>>Branko Čibej wrote:
>>
>>>I'm much more concerned about the nightmare of unsupported printf
>>>positional parameters on Windows...
>>
>>Huh?  Care to state briefly (but less briefly) what you mean by that, so I can at least try to avoid the problem when writing portable code?
>
> I'm not sure which aspect you need an explanation of, so I'll explain
> everything I know.

Thanks; I didn't know what you meant by "printf positional parameters" because I had never come across them.

>   "%2$d Zeichen lang ist die Ziechenkette  '%1$s'\n"
>
> Apparently, Windows doesn't have this support.

Nor does standard C, so you can't rely on any platform having support for this.

>  But I don't see why that
> matters; we almost exclusively use apr_psprintf.  There doesn't appear
> to be positional argument support in apr_vformatter(), but that's not a
> Windows-specific problem, and we can presumably fix it with enough work.

Yes, OK, I suppose we could implement them in APR.

It certainly sounds like a useful feature for this purpose.

- Julian

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:

>Windows FormatMessage(...) does support positional parameters.

Yes, brrrr, I was trying not to think about that horror. Mix "portable"
and "FormatMessage" in the same thought, and watch your brain explode. :-)

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/
formatmessage.asp

But I agree that this would be a good thing to add to apr_vformatter.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Greg Hudson wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 16:36, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>

>>My biggest concern about our error code system is that localization in
>>the future is going to be a nightmare.  At least with the redundant
>>error message strings, we have a single place to hook in a
>>localization system.
>>

>I don't get it.  How does my proposal make this any worse?

It's not. We can mark the generic messages for localisation with no
trouble, and svn_error_create[f] will have to call gettext anyway.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.