Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gorzsás Tamás <Go...@evosoft.hu> on 2006/03/31 10:57:08 UTC

layers created by AI in SVG

Hi,

I have an svg file created by Adobe Illustrator and in the svg some layers are defined.

In the Adobe Illustartor I see the layer names in correct format: eg. "bridges & tubes", but

the layer is stored in the svg file in this format: "bridges__x26__tubes".

Is it possible to set back the correct layer name from this format?

I know this is not a batik problem, but I am in the hope of somebody knows the solution.

Thanks,

Tamas

Re: layers created by AI in SVG

Posted by "Andre M. Winter - Carto.net" <ml...@carto.net>.
hi,

all ids need to be converted to allowed XML id sytax (a-z,A-Z,0-9,-,_, not starting with a number). i guess that AI has an internal translation mechnanism where "_x26_" or "__x26__" stands for "&". and U+0026 is unicode for ... &. so that's the way you could translate your ids back.

andré

andre m. winter,
  cartography for internet and multimedia applications
  schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
  tel.: ++43.5234.32732
  email: <wi...@carto.net>

        new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
             check    <http://svg.carto.net/>

Gorzsás Tamás wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an svg file created by Adobe Illustrator and in the svg some
> layers are defined.
>
> In the Adobe Illustartor I see the layer names in correct format: eg.
> „bridges & tubes”, but
>
> the layer is stored in the svg file in this format: „bridges__x26__tubes”.
>
> Is it possible to set back the correct layer name from this format?
>
> I know this is not a batik problem, but I am in the hope of somebody
> knows the solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamas

Re: layers created by AI in SVG

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Tamas,

Gorzsás Tamás <Go...@evosoft.hu> wrote on 03/31/2006 03:57:08 AM:

> I have an svg file created by Adobe Illustrator and in the svg some
layers are defined.
> In the Adobe Illustartor I see the layer names in correct format:
> eg. "bridges & tubes", but the layer is stored in the svg file in
> this format: "bridges__x26__tubes".
>
> Is it possible to set back the correct layer name from this format?

   Normally these sorts of 'idification' alg are not 100% reversible
but It looks like they have replaced spaces ' 'with double underscores '_'
'_'.
And for 'out of range values' they have replaced it with a "hex version"
so Ascii/Unicode 0x26 = '&'.   But the question remains what would happen
if you had a layer that started out as:

        "Project x55: _IMPORTANT_"

   You would have to play with it a bit to see if they just give up in
such
cases or if they have escapes to enable real reversibility....

> I know this is not a batik problem, but I am in the hope of somebody
knows thesolution.

   Good luck!
   Also you might look at all the extra junk Adobe sticks in the file they
may
have a mapping from the 'mangled' name to the original in there somewhere.