Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/01 23:57:14 UTC

Re: Ideal Index Fragmentation

On Aug 30, 2005, at 9:53 PM, Friedland, Zachary (EDS - Strategy) wrote:

> > * I'm interested in implementing a "dynamic filter" component
> > that will walk through the hits[] object and pull out distinct
> > values for certain fields to display as search-within-a-search
> > options (all of them will return at least one result since they are
> > in the hits[]). Has anyone implemented something like this -- how
> > did it work out?

I have a similar requirement, but the loop-through-and-build model looks way
too expensive. I've explored the concept of executing multiple sub-searches
to get filters and their subsequent counts, but my requirements allows me a
sustainable, smaller set of potential dynamic filters. This is the concept,
haven't put it into practice so have no idea if it scales any better than
the brute force method.

-- jeff