Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/19 03:18:45 UTC

Provide basic editor features for more file types out of the box [WAS: Re: AW: Introductory Email]

I have created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-7 to track
this improvement.

Indeed, I believe using the existing "language files" or "word files" from
other editors and a little NetBeans work we could provide basic editor
features for a whole range of file types.

For example, we would provide Groovy syntax highlighting out of the box and
users would get the full experience by installing the extra plugins.

We could even introduce a mechanism to promote to users the full plugins
(from the Plugin Portal, etc) once they start editing given file types.

--emi

AW: Provide basic editor features for more file types out ofthebox[WAS: Re: AW: Introductory Email]

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
For me sounds a bit like a meta language which will understandable from everyone. It sounds like BPML or smth like that, where the diagram can also generates Code. Only guessing.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> We may be talking about two different kinds of editor generators. One to create editors that recreate other editors, and one that generates a different kind of editor.

I did start a separate thread specifically to talk about Chris'
suggestion. What you are talking about seems a bit different indeed.

--emi

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I do remember Schliemann from long ago...

Although this is not about bringing back .NBS files as much as
integrating what already is out there ("word files" and such), even if
it doesn't cover all the NetBeans features.

> We really need such simpler method to bring a new language to NetBeans

This is just a basic way to allowing text editing.

Note that NetBeans is an *IDE* that also has an editor. People
generally expect more advanced features from an IDE than basic syntax
highlighting. An IDE generally does some *semantic* and project-wide
analysis.

But if I do use NetBeans for a Java project, it might be nice if it
has some basic Groovy support, although I would have to install the
proper Groovy plugins for heavy work.

--emi

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>
wrote:

> But unfortunately it was not implemented, right?

Implemented, deprecated and removed IIRC!

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

AW: Provide basic editor features for more file types out of thebox[WAS: Re: AW: Introductory Email]

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Nice, I scanned the document and it describes exact that what I requested How and why: http://wiki.netbeans.org/Schliemann

And here is a proposal how: http://wiki.netbeans.org/SchliemannNBSLanguageDescription

But unfortunately it was not implemented, right? I think to create a new file Format doesn’t make sense, I prefer to use that what we have in the document + based on the files from other IDEs, because it is already there. No need to create a new Format for this.

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
I don't believe so.

For simple editors (syntax highlighting, braces matching, keywords
completion) we can write easily a generic editor that loads the
keywords from a definition file that's already available on the links
mentioned.

LSP makes sense for full-blown support (eg. Typescript) but then we
also need (to include) a server.

--emi

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
For the LSP you Need the Server which will provide the language, but those files are already there for years.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I think LSP can be an other Option too.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Of Course, thx for the ticket That will help to see the Progress 😊
I hat some ideas in my mind, but I think they didn’t worked out. Atm I don’t know much about lexer/Parser stuff. Only used JavaCC and ANTLR to generate stuff, bringing Syntax highlighting for C# to netbeans, works ok but not perfect.

Regards

Chris