Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Joaquin Casares <jo...@thelastpickle.com> on 2017/03/03 17:34:58 UTC

Re: OOM on Apache Cassandra on 30 Plus node at the same time

Hello Shravan,

Typically asynchronous requests are recommended over batch statements since
batch statements will cause more work on the coordinator node while
individual requests, when using a TokenAwarePolicy, will hit a specific
coordinator, perform a local disk seek, and return the requested
information.

The only times that using batch statements are ideal is if writing to the
same partition key, even if it's across multiple tables when using the same
hashing algorithm (like murmur3).

Could you provide a bit of insight into what the batch statement was trying
to accomplish and how many child statements were bundled up within that
batch?

Cheers,

Joaquin

Joaquin Casares
Consultant
Austin, TX

Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@apache.org>.

On 2017-03-04 07:23 (-0800), "Thakrar, Jayesh" <jt...@conversantmedia.com> wrote:
> LCS does not rule out frequent updates - it just says that there will be more frequent compaction, which can potentially increase compaction activity (which again can be throttled as needed).
> But STCS will guarantee OOM when you have large datasets.
> Did you have a look at the offheap + onheap size of our jvm using "nodetool -info" ?

STCS does not guarantee you OOM when you have large datasets, unless by large datasets you mean in the tens-of-terabytes range, which is already something we typically recommend against.

Re: OOM on Apache Cassandra on 30 Plus node at the same time

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Saturday, March 4, 2017, Thakrar, Jayesh <jt...@conversantmedia.com>
wrote:

> LCS does not rule out frequent updates - it just says that there will be
> more frequent compaction, which can potentially increase compaction
> activity (which again can be throttled as needed).
>
> But STCS will guarantee OOM when you have large datasets.
>
> Did you have a look at the offheap + onheap size of our jvm using
> "nodetool -info" ?
>

> *From: *Shravan C <challa17@outlook.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','challa17@outlook.com');>>
> *Date: *Friday, March 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM
> *To: *Joaquin Casares <joaquin@thelastpickle.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','joaquin@thelastpickle.com');>>, "
> user@cassandra.apache.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','user@cassandra.apache.org');>" <
> user@cassandra.apache.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','user@cassandra.apache.org');>>
> *Subject: *Re: OOM on Apache Cassandra on 30 Plus node at the same time
>

> We run C* at 32 GB and all servers have 96GB RAM. We use STCS . LCS is not
> an option for us as we have frequent updates.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Shravan
> ------------------------------

Stcs does not guarentee oom with large sets. Cassandra had large sets for
yeara when stcs was the only thing that existed.

--
Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.

Re: OOM on Apache Cassandra on 30 Plus node at the same time

Posted by "Thakrar, Jayesh" <jt...@conversantmedia.com>.
If possible, I would suggest running that command on a periodic basis (cron or whatever).
Also, you can run it on a single server and iterate through all the nodes in the cluster/DC.
Would also recommend running "nodetool compactionstats

And looked at your concern about high value for hinted handoff.
That's good (in a way), it ensures that updates are not lost.
Its possible because your DB was constantly being updated and the servers that come up started accumulating for the servers that were still down.
Furthermore, that may have been the situation also as the servers were going down.
Hence high hinted handoff is just a sign of pending updates that need to be applied, which is not uncommon if you had servers falling down/restarting like dominos and updates still coming in.

From: Shravan C <ch...@outlook.com>
Date: Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 11:15 AM
To: Conversant <jt...@conversantmedia.com>, Joaquin Casares <jo...@thelastpickle.com>, "user@cassandra.apache.org" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: OOM on Apache Cassandra on 30 Plus node at the same time

I was looking at nodetool info across all nodes. Consistently JVM heap used is ~ 12GB and off heap is ~ 4-5GB.

Posted by "Thakrar, Jayesh" <jt...@conversantmedia.com>.

Posted by Shravan C <ch...@outlook.com>.
Hi Joaquin,

We have inserts going into a tracking table. Tracking table is a simple table [PRIMARY KEY (comid, status_timestamp) ] with a few tracking attributes and sorted by status_timestamp. From a volume perspective it is not a whole lot.

Thanks,
Shravan